Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 22months nursing like a newborn

Default 22months nursing like a newborn

Hi, im currently nursing my 22 month old. Everytime she see's me that's what she wants to do is nurse. Even though she just or currently is eatting lunch or dinner. (shes a good eater and has plenty food and fluids throughout the day). When she asks to watch tv and I say not right now, she wants to nurse. Or at parent tot class which is only 45 mins., she needs to nurse. We were visting family and in a matter of an hour or less she nursed 3 times!Her molars are coming in but sometimes I think she's just bored, Like at the tot class. I've always nursed on demand and never denied her. I never set any boundaries for nursing and thinking how do I go about that. She nurses for nap and bedtime and plenty of times through the night. I feel like I created an overly attached child to the breast, like I've did something wrong by nursing so long? Advice, relate?

Default Re: 22months nursing like a newborn

Toddlers go through phases where they want to nurse all the time. Teething can be the cause, but often it's the toddler's way of reassuring herself that "home base" is still there for her as she tests her increasing independence. You haven't done anything wrong, and your LO isn't "overly attached"- just normally attached. Would you feel like you'd done something wrong if your LO were really dependent on cuddling or hugs? Or if she needed to haul a special doll around with her, no matter where she went? It's totally normal for a toddler to rely on something that is exterior to them for comfort and security- a blanket, a doll, a hug, the breast. It's not wrong! But if you're feeling like YOU need to detach a little, because YOU need some physical/emotional space, setting limits is a good place to start. Your child is old enough to understand "Not now, we'll nurse when we get back to the house" or "Let mommy finish cooking dinner, and then we'll nurse". You can also limit time spent at the breast- try "We'll count to 10 and then it's time to finish" or "We'll sing 'Twinkle Twinkle' and then be done"- and behaviors at the breast. I personally hate twiddling and feet in my face, so I will end a nursing session if my kid does either of those things.

When you start setting limits, don't expect it to be easy. You can expect some crying and tantrums- but those behaviors don't mean you're wrong to enforce a limit. Toddlers just hate limits!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for the great advice. Sometimes I get freaked out thinking I'm gonna be nursing forever! Then I feel reassured it's totally normal. I've never done this before and don't know anyone who has either. So I really appreciate your kind words!

Don't worry, as PP said it is all totally normal. You are not doing anything wrong ;-)
    My boy is now 4 and 2months and still nurses to go to sleep most nights, and I remember when he was about 2 years and just before he turned 2 was a phase of very intensive nursing, with teething and also growing independence. A lot of moms I know stopped right around that time because of the increasing demand, and problems with nursing manners, but if you hang in there it will get less again.
    At that age she can learn to wait until you are ready to nurse her. It is hard to teach and takes some patience but it is entirely doable I found. One of the things I taught him was: let's do it when we are comfortable at home, but we can cuddle now (as he would want to nurse in public transport which I was by that time unwilling to do). It took some time and needed a lot of repetition but it worked.