My 7 week old baby suddenly refuses my breast and I am driving myself bonkers trying to figure out why and would love your thoughts on why this could be. here is some info (apologies for the list format but may be easier to read my thoughts)
1. My LO was a great nurser at birth, strong latch
2. During her 2-3 week, i exclusively fed her during the day from my breasts and had to feed her pumped milk during the evening due to my breast pain/bleeding on my left side that would just not heal
3. my left breast has an oversupply and seems to be too much for LO to latch onto. Most of my breastfeeding challenges is from this breast, I always have to help her latch. the right side is very easy for her.
4. She has been good to go back and forth the nipple and bottle.
5. Her weight is great and she is gaining well, wet dirty diapers are great
6. She spits up a good amount after her feedings but thought it was because she is a slow burper
A few days ago, she started to refuse my breasts and seems to prefer the bottle. I wonder if it may be nipple preference? But could it happen now when she has been so good at going back and forth to the nipple? I recently was able to feed from the breast exclusively and eliminated the bottles (see point #2). Could this be the reason why she is acting this way? Or am I not producing enough? (I express 4-5oz per session)
She feeds well from my breasts early in the morning while she is half asleep and during the day with/without some fussiness but she does latch on. Her sucking is not as strong as it was before but I do hear her gulps and swallows. Her diapers seem fuller after those feeds but as the day goes on, her diapers are only slightly wet. And once evening time rolls around, she is screaming, arching her back and hating being put in a nursing position and only wants her milk via bottle.
She seems to calm down incredibly from the bottle but I am concerned that she may prefer this more and eventually wean herself off. And that thought is heartbreaking to me. Right now, I am using a bottle nipple to entice her to latch and squirting my expressed milk in the corner of her mouth while she is latched on. It has been working but most of the time she is screaming and I cannot seem to calm her down. I have also tried pumping to ease the oversupplied breast and allow her to latch on easier, that seemed to help a little but still fussy.
She is also eating less and sleeping a lot. I know that some babies tend to do that but I am just wondering if this is something to be concerned about or just ride the wave. Please help!