Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sudden decrease in supply?

Default Sudden decrease in supply?

My daughter is almost 5 months old. For the first two months she was exclusively breast fed from the breast. I then had to return to work. I have always pumped 3 times a day and been able to more than keep up with the supply she needed while at daycare. However, during the past week my milk has suddenly dropped. I am only able to pump about half of what I use to pump. I think I am drinking enough water to maintain my supply.

I bought a brand new double electric pump prior to returning to work but heard that it can be hard to maintain supply while pumping. What are the suggestions to increasing my volume? We have some milk frozen, so I will be fine for a few weeks. I just adamantly do not want to start formula and I don’t think she is ready for solids yet (and wanted to wait until 6 months anyways).

Default Re: Sudden decrease in supply?

I am sorry to hear that you supply has decresed. This must be very concerning for you!

Could you tell us a little more about your BF and pumping patterns?
    How much/how often/how long?
    How much milk does dd need while away from you?
    What type of pump are you using?
    You daily schedule? Drop off/pick up, etc?

I know this seems like a lot, but it will help us see the bigger picture and better offer you the particular information you need!

No problem - I will happily provide this information if it helps bring my milk supply back up.

As far as my BF and pumping patterns go it would be easier to describe a typical day. She is eating or I am pumping about 8 times a day. (Although I have increased my pumping while I am away to every 2 hours to try to express more milk recently). Also, she is still waking up during the night a couple times to eat. I know I have read books and had people tell me she should be sleeping through the night by now, but that doesn’t really bother me. If you think I should encourage her to sleep through the night, let me know.

She usually goes down for the night around 8:30-9:00 (or close to) right after a feeding. She generally falls asleep while feeding. Then between going to bed and waking up around 7:00, she usually wakes up twice to eat (sometime between 12:00-1:00 and then again between 4:00-5:00). During the night she feeds until she falls back asleep, which can be anywhere from 10-15 minutes. I feed her again between 7:30-8:00 and then we leave for the day. So I drop her off around 8:00.

While she is at daycare I usually send three 4-ounce bottles, and she almost always takes everything. Sometimes I wonder if she is getting too much while at daycare, but I would hate for her to be hungry. While I am at work, I pump at 10:00, 1:00 and 4:00. (Although like I mentioned earlier, I am now pumping at 10, 12, 2, and 4 to try to express more). I used to easily get 15 ounces but suddenly can only get about 8. I generally pump for 10-15 minutes. I am using an isis duo, which I bought brand new when she was born. So it is only 5 months old.

I pick her up around 5:00 and then we are home around 5:30. Although she usually takes a bottle around 4:00, she always wants to eat by 6:30 at the latest. (Sometimes I think it has more to do with being close to me than actually being hungry.) I try to do 10 minutes her side, although sometimes she is highly distracted and squirms. She then eats again around 8:30-9:00 and falls asleep. Hopefully this provided you with some good information.

Thank you for ANY help you can provide!!

What about you? Stress? Return of your period? Pregnant again? Any of those can affect your supply.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

As far as I know I am doing fine...

I do work full time and have a fairly demanding job. But I rarely take work home with me. As far as stress, I do not think my stress has increased, although I probably had too much to begin with.

My period has been rather strange. I started taking the mini-pill at my 6-week post partum checkup. I have really not had a period, but occasionally have a little bleeding that lasts less than 1 day. And on being pregnant – it is possible, although I really doubt it.

My milk appears to be less today than it was yesterday.

Thanks for helping….

Hi chargermom ,

I have a few thoughts for you. First of all, it sounds like you are doing a great job. While I am sure what you are going through must be frustrating, your little girl is blessed to have a mama who is so concerned about meeting her needs. Try not to be hard on yourself.

Many moms find that birth control pills, even the "mini pill" can have an adverse affect on their milk supplies. You may want to talk with your doctor about non-hormonal options.

How is the increased pumping schedule working for you? Here are some tips on increasing pump volume: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html

You mentioned that your daughter has a bottle at around 4pm, and you pick her up around 5pm. What does the rest of her bottle schedule look like at daycare? Some moms find that they are able to reschedule their baby's bottle feedings so that baby is ready to nurse right away when they pick baby up from daycare. Then, you could nurse her at the daycare center, or in the car before driving home, instead of that 4pm bottle. Or, maybe the 4pm bottle could be 2 oz instead of 4oz...just enough to "tide her over" until you get there. Does that sound like something that might work for you?

Lastly, there is no reason that your baby "must" be "sleeping through the night" by now. In fact, many moms who work outside the home find that their (highly intelligent) babies increase their night nursing and consume less ebm while at daycare. Do you co-sleep? Some moms find that bringing baby to bed with them and encouraging frequent night nursing is a good way for everyone to get the sleep they need and to decrease baby's dependency on ebm in the process. Additionally, your prolactin (milk-making hormone) levels are highest at night, so night nursing is a highly effective way of increasing your milk supply.

I hope that helps you. Hang in there, mama! You really are doing a great job!

Tiana

Smile Re: Sudden decrease in supply?

Thanks for the encouragement. That really helped to list my spirits. I really like your idea about only giving her half a bottle. I will try that out. It has always bothered me that I feel like she is getting too much nutrition from a bottle. Even if it is still expressed milk, nursing is so much more than just a feeding.

My daughter also does sleep with my husband and I. I usually don’t volunteer this information because I’m tired of people telling me she should sleep in her crib in her own room. Being away from her during the day and because she is still so young, I believe she needs to be close to us.

Thanks again!

You're welcome!

Let us know if there's anything more we can do to help!

Tiana

Another thing I thought I'd mention is this:

If you are feeling that maybe she is being over-fed a little at daycare, you might want to make sure that the DCP are aware of other things they can do to make her happy/soothe her in your absence. You right that the first thing some people think of is feeding. So, it it couldn't hurt to dialogue with them about some other things to try, so they aren't tempted to overfeed her. Some moms suggest: walking, wearing in a sling or carrier, singing, more holding, etc. Whatever you think would work for dd!