Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby will not take bottle, help! Going back to work.

Default Baby will not take bottle, help! Going back to work.

I have been solely breast feeding my little girl for the last 8 weeks. About 1 month ago my hUsband and I tried to introduce a bottle, so we could be prepared when I go back to work. She has taken it, but not all the time. I've noticed that when I'm in the home and my husband tries to give her a bottle she screams her little head off. Is this because she knows I'm in the house? We left her with my mother-n-law once and she said she took a bottle without a problem. I'm so nervouse to go back to work and that she will not take a bottle from my husband.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Baby will not take bottle, help! Going back to work.

A lot of babies do not like to take bottles when mom is nearby. Why accept a silicone substitute when the real thing is right there?

Try different bottles, different nipples, different milk temperatures, different caregivers- above all, just keep trying!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Wow it sound exactly like my life right now. My daughter is exactly the same. My poor husband feels like he's not getting any time. My suggestion is to nurse her every time you are with her. If she's taking a bottle when you not around then that's great. Don't fight it. I wouldn't start experimenting if she's taking a bottle already. Don't want to confuse her. I know it's hard but consider it a time for you and LO to have mommy and me time! Enjoy it now!

as others have said, it's pretty common for babies to refuse a bottle if the "real thing" is nearby. i wouldn't worry too much. in the weeks leading up to your return to work, it might help if you took a short walk, ran an errand, did something out of the house while DH gives LO a bottle to practice for the separation. i know how anxiety provoking the return to work can be when you don't feel 100% confident that LO will take a bottle, but i'm sure it will be fine. my LO wouldn't take one at all leading up to my return to work and then, presto, took one on my first day back.

Our daycare provider had to spoon feed a breastfed infant his breast milk when he wouldn't take the bottle. Will baby sip from a spoon if she's not interested in a bottle? Also, have heard of success with latex nipples (Playtex Drop-ins offer latex nipple options) when silicone doesn't work. Something about the latex feeling more like skin than the silicone.

Good luck and keep experimenting (not easy, or cheap when you have to buy 100 different bottles).