Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby going 5 hours without cueing to nurse?

Default Baby going 5 hours without cueing to nurse?

I got stuck at an urgent care clinic (waiting for an eternity to get an antibiotic for mastitis) and my baby didnt nurse for 5 hours. I left her at home with dad because flu is epidemic here and I didn't want to expose her. Long story short, I was having a panic attack about how long it had been since she nursed...and she was just chilling out with dad like it was no big deal. She usually eats every 2-3 hours - almost always because I offer without her cueing. Is it crazy that she went so long today...and didn't seem to care? She did nurse well when I got home, but definitely was frantic or anything to see me...

Default Re: Baby going 5 hours without cueing to nurse?

I should add that it wasn't that she didn't "miss me" or what have you. It was that she didn't act hungry at all while I was gone. I've always been a bit concerned because she's so laid back about eating...wondered if she would even tell if she wasn't getting enough. Then today's stretch...just seems so long for a 6 month old to not eat, especially during the day!

that's nothing. juniper (8 mos) would go 7 hours without asking for milk. i think they are ok for periods of time, esp if they know you aren't around... baby couldn't see you, so wasn't reminded of "oh, i'm hungry."
    i wouldn't worry, but i'm far from a pro!!!

so sorry you aren't feeling well and got stuck in urgent care for so long. yuck!

how old is your LO? unless she is really, really young, i wouldn't worry too much about this. it was a one off and a lot of babies will go longer when mom isn't around. many babies of moms who return to work will go the whole day that she is gone with little to no milk and then make up for it when they are back together (often at night -- reverse cycling). in your case, she likely just made up for once you got home and you reunited.

hope you feel better soon!