Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ductal Thrush

Default Re: Ductal Thrush

Well... I took the LO to the LC again today, and she concurred that he wasn't getting any better on the nyastin. She also advised me to call my midwife again since she said the lack of a loading dose and 150mg once a day of diflucan wasn't enough to treat ductal thrush.

So my ped agreed to go with the Gentian violet route for a few days.

And thankfully my midwife agreed to prescribe me more diflucan. So I took a loading dose tonight and will be taking 150mg twice daily.

Picking up the GV in the morning, no one had it so it had to be special ordered.

Hoping everything is sorted out now and we can both get better. Good vibes appreciated!!
    First time mommy to Evan born 10/30/10

Does anyone know how long it takes for the GV to clear up oral thrush in babes?

It's been five days and I use it once a day, I apply to my nipples and let him nurse. He still has a big slightly purple but white thrush patch on his tongue.

I'm scared that we won't be clear of the thrush if he isn't cleared up by the time I'm done with my meds.

I'm not sure what else to do.
    First time mommy to Evan born 10/30/10

I had thrush (and lots of pain) for at least 3 months. I also tried everything, diflucan, nystatin, grapefruit seed extract, probiotics. The only thing that made a difference was when I quit wearing a bra entirely. It helped almost immediately. I had to get over my embarrassment about going out in public bra-less, but I didn't wear one for a full month and my thrush went away and never came back. It was definitely worth it.