Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ductal Thrush

Default Ductal Thrush

My LO is almost 5 weeks. We got diagnosed with thrush yesterday.

I had been experiencing a progressively painful letdown and the LC finally realized it was ductal thrush. Once we checked my LO mouth we saw a very thick milk tongue, and realized maybe it wasn't milk tongue at all.

My nipples are uneffected, and thankfully the LO doesn't have a rash on his bottom.

The pediatrician gave him nyastin to paint into his mouth 4 times a day.

I was given 14 days of flucozanole 150mg a day.

I also bought a ton of probiotics both for myself and for the LO.

My fear is that this isn't enough to cure us completely. I've read horror stories if how even after medication the thrush came back even more angry the second time. So my question is for those mamas that have done this before. Is there anything else I should do to ensure we will be thrush free by the end of the 2 weeks??

I cut my sugar intake but carbs are kind of hard to cut since I'm breastfeeding and starving.

I plan on getting some Grapefruit seed extract today for the laundry and to use on my nipples.

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by @llli*mommytoevan; January 4th, 2013 at 11:15 AM.
    First time mommy to Evan born 10/30/10

Default Re: Ductal Thrush

Rigorous hygiene. Wash shirts, towels, burp cloths, bibs, panties, and bras are every use, and wash them on hot.

Sorry about the thrush, mama!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with PP.

You can also take the GSE orally, separated from your probiotic by an hour. You can use a diluted GSE to paint your LO's mouth before nursing (I used a q-tip). I also use vinegar as a fabric softener in my wash.

Thanks ladies, yes I had to turn up the hot water to get the right temp for the washer. I will be adding the GSE during the rinse cycle.

I read that vinegar was ineffective against yeast and may actually feed it.

If it wasn't do cold outside I'd put my clothes out on the line =\ since sunlight is supposed to be super effective against it.

Ill try to remember to take the GSE orally as well. Is there a dosage amount ? Or just a couple of drops an hour?

You can still hang your clothes out. It's probably the UV light that's killing the microorganisms, and winter sunlight contains just as much of that as summer sunlight does- you just get less overall daylight and, of course, it's no fun to hang clothes on the line when it's freezing out!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Here's Dr. Newman's candida protocol http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-CP and it has the dosage for the GSE orally. If you can find capsules to take orally instead of the drops, I highly suggest that..the drops are disgustingly bitter.

Update:

I've been putting the nyastin in the LO mouth and the GSE on my nipples. His mouth looks about the same to me. Still pretty white and patchy on his tongue. I've taken the drops orally as well inconjunction with the probiotics. Laundry has been washed in hot hot water and put in the sun.

I've taken 3 doses of the diflucan and while the pain has lessened it still persists. I was told the pain would be gone much sooner, the LC said I'd feel loads better by the end of the first 24 hours. Not only has the deep breast pain persisted I'm now experiencing burning on my nipples. I hope it's from the GSE rather than the yeast invading my nipples.

Was I expecting too much from the diflucan? I still plan on finishing my two week course but I'm terrified that lack of response means I have a resistant strain of yeast!! Feeling pretty low at the moment. The stress is really wearing me down.

I didn't really notice a difference with the diflucan until at least day 5 or 6, and after that it got a steadily better. As for the sore nipples, the GSE can definitely irritate them. How many drops per oz of water are you using? You may need to dial it back a bit. I also found that putting a little vitamin E oil on after it dried helped with the irritation. You just have to make sure that it's either completely dry or wiped off before the baby nurses next, as too much vit E can be toxic to them.

You might want to consider using the diluted GSE in your LO's mouth if the nystatin doesn't seem to be doing the trick. Nystatin is not always effective at clearing thrush - it has lots of sugar in it, and yeast feeds on that. Dr. Jay Gordon also has a candida protocol that's pretty good, here it is http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/thrush.html

Your anxiety and stress is completely understandable. Not sure what to tell you besides, hang in there. You can make it through this

First thank you for easing my mind!

I did 15 drops per ounce of water. I've been using some in LO mouth as well. I'm wondering if I should just use that instead of the nyastin since it is so sugary.

I was thinking instead of the vitamin e oil I could use coconut oil. From what I've read it's also anti microbial so it kills yeast as well. Also I don't have to worry about wiping it off my nipples. What do you think?

Yeah, coconut oil would be pretty soothing. If you weren't having nipple pain before, you might be able to decrease the number of drops to 10, but I'd keep the 15 for the baby. As for stopping the nystatin...personally, I did, but then, my LO didn't have white patches. So it's up to you if you want to try without.