Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby does not want to nurse. Possible nipple confusion.

Default Baby does not want to nurse. Possible nipple confusion.

When I was in the hospital I attempted to breast feed. Nurses helped me but I did not see a lactation consultant. I tried for 24 hours but then the nurses recommended I feed her. So, I gave her formula.

Now, most feelings I try the nipple first. If she doesn't get it, which she hasn't fully got it down packed I give her a bottle of breast milk or formula. She has had moments when she latched on a sucked, but only for a few seconds. I feel like she may be confused with the nipples. I'm not sure how to be successful anymore and am beginning to feel like exclusively pumping is my route. I have a support system including baby's dad, mom and other family members.

Please help. I need some tips. Thanks!

Default Re: Baby does not want to nurse. Possible nipple confusion.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby! I'm sorry you didn't get to see the lactation consultant in the hospital. I'd really like for you to see one ASAP- call the hospital and ask if you can come in for help, call your local La Leche League and ask for help from a leader or for a reference for a good local lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. Babies who are reluctant to latch are a special challenge and hands-on, professional help can make a huge difference.

In the meantime, check out this link: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/ It covers all the ways I know of to get a baby to the breast and battle nipple confusion. The skin-to-skin and instant reward techniques are supposed to be especially useful. A nipple shield is also really worth trying- they can be really helpful with non-latching babies who are more used to a bottle nipple than a human breast.

As you work towards getting your baby to breastfeed, you're going to want to pump at least 10-12 times a day using a high-quality pump (hospital-grade rental is best) with correctly sized shields. Do you have that? If not, how has pumping been going so far?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"