Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: started solids afraid of early weaning and supply drop FTM

Default started solids afraid of early weaning and supply drop FTM

I have started solids at 5.5 months (even though my pediatrician said to start at 4 months). I have tried to get answers from the local lactation consultants but have gotten the run around to call back two times. I exclusively breastfeed on demand (5 to 11 times a day sometimes) when I am home with my baby and tell my family caregivers to feed her when she is hungry on demand as well while I work part time 4.5 hrs. I feel like since starting solids my baby is not nursing like she used to especially at the last feed at night (not sure how much milk I had anyways by that point but now I can pump right after putting her to bed and get over two ounces where as before I would get barely one and have to wait an hour or more to get that much). I breastfeed before giving solids but am wondering if I give too much solids...we are at 3 tbs two times a day of cereal and little veggie at the night solids feeding. She will be 6 months next week. I am worried she will wean early but am also worried because she was drinking so much milk (10 ozs) while I was at work part time(4.5 hrs) and afraid I will not be able to keep up. Sould I feed her less times in a day? Less ounces of cereal? Or not worry about it? Please help as any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: started solids afraid of early weaning and supply drop F

Wow. 10 oz in 4 hours is kind of a lot. Like, if my 7 mos old ate 10 oz in 4 hours, and I came home to nurse him, he wouldn't nurse for long, and there would be tons of milk left over in my breasts and i would then have to pump as soon as I came home from work, also.
    So it looks like your caregiver is doing what my husband was doing which is over feeding. Breastfed babies feed on demand thereabouts every 2-3 hours. For my lo it was closer to 3 at 5 months. And should, at the very very extreme end only need 5 oz, if the baby is a big eater and you don't feed right before going to work.
    Lets say you do thoroughly feed before work, about 2.5-3 hours later your kiddo would want to feed again, and should only want between 4-5 oz. ( And that's when you should schedule your next pump for at work, to sync up with when baby will eat.)
    I would say drop off 5 oz with the care giver, tell them what early signs of hunger to look for in your baby and around what time her next feeding would be due (2.5-3 hours). Ask them to stop feeding after the 5 oz is gone and to entertain baby in other ways. I've noticed that after my son is done with actually eating, he comfort sucks, and I bet yours wants to comfort suck, which may be where your caregiver is thinking baby wants more food.
    So try that before getting too upset with yourself.
    hell, I thought mine needed 28 oz during my 9 hour work day, started supplementing with formula, my supply dropped, and i had to build it back up again because DH was over feeding.
    Desmond Ringo Payton [5.31.12|8 lb 14 oz|22 in.|blonde|blue|beautiful|BACK TO BREAST 6.25.12]

Default Re: started solids afraid of early weaning and supply drop F

Oh, your solids are fine. Because your baby will be satisfied from the milk you fed before the solids, it shouldn't hurt your supply. I'm thinking your supply is fine, you were just beating yourself up for over feeding.
    In fact, at this point solids are for play and experimentation with textures, so baby will only take what he's going to or interested in.
    Desmond Ringo Payton [5.31.12|8 lb 14 oz|22 in.|blonde|blue|beautiful|BACK TO BREAST 6.25.12]