Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Yogurt? How early is okay?

Default Yogurt? How early is okay?

I keep reading conflicting things about starting yogurt. What's the consensus here for when its okay to give baby (plain, whole fat) yogurt? I love yogurt and am looking forward to offering to baby, whenever its best. She's just 6.5 months, so I'm not in a hurry or anything. She just had her first tastes of sweet potatoes today...

Default Re: Yogurt? How early is okay?

My doc told me 8 mos for yogurt. Of course that was 6 years ago and that sort of thing changes so fast.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

When you do, try a little plain greek yogurt (you can water it down a bit if it's too thick). A lot less sugar/not as sweet so your lo won't be craving the sweetness of "regular" yogurt.

I won't be trying yogurt for a good while yet. DS is 10 months old, but he has a clear dairy sensitivity just from getting it in my milk. So I plan on taking it real slow trying any dairy products with him, and first I want to start introducing it back into MY diet.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

We started around 10 months, not for any good reason. I am not a huge dairy fan, but I wanted to introduce some yogurt and cheese to open up some more options. I can't remember what we mixed it with at first -- I think it was lentils and vegetables. Now my DD regularly has pumpkin mixed with yogurt and just a drop or two of agave syrup for breakfast and I make some smoothies with yogurt with us once in a while.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

I've got a handout from some public health dieticians here in Quebec that suggests 9-12 months as the period for introducing yogurt (plain).

I offered it from about 7 or 8 months and he liked it a lot and still likes it much. But I give him only plain yoghurt with no sugar or other things(thickening agents) added. I would not give him the kind with sugar or fruit added until much older (we started beause he noticed his dad eating the sugary kind at age 3).

We offered at 7 months. The YoBaby Simply Plain--organic, and no added sugar
    We mix in various fruits and grains and he loves it!
    I was worried about introducing any sort of dairy at first, but read that yogurt was different and a great source of probiotics for the baby

Have fun!

You know when you do introduce yogurt you can make your own. Its super easy. All you need is whole milk a stove, a meat or cooking thermometer, some starter culture from plain yogurt like Dannon plain or stonyfield (which is what I use), some mason jars and a crock pot (you can also use a cooler with some towels and a pan of hot water...so many variations here...but if you google it or check youtube there are endless easy instructionals. I was buying a lot of organic yogurt for my family and when I started giving it to my son at 7&1/2 months I just wanted an easier, cheaper solution. I googled how to do it and now we make our own every other week. I use my previous batch as a starter so I only needed starter once from the store. And we make our own yogurt super cheap. My son loves yogurt and so do we. I make vanilla and maple for my husband and I.
    Long time wannabe Momma. First time actual Momma.

-candice -