Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Medela membranes

Default Medela membranes

Should I sterilize new membranes before putting them on? Can I use the microwave sterilizer? Thanks!
    mom to four energetic kids ages 6,7,8 and our newest arrival born 8/14/2012

Default Re: Medela membranes

Do you mean the flexible parts that go inside the hard breastshell for the pump? I cold water sterilised all my pump componants just to be safe, I'm not 100% sure if you can microwave them.
    Mum of 4. DS1 Dec 05, DD1 Feb 07, DS2 Apr 08, DD2 Feb 12
    Currently and premature DD2 after for 6 months while DD2 was tube fed. Successfully re-lactated!

No. The little white flaps that go on the part that screws into the bottle. I understand you're supposed to replace them every so often and just wondering if I need to sterilize them. I usually just wash all my pump parts in hot soapy water once a day.
    mom to four energetic kids ages 6,7,8 and our newest arrival born 8/14/2012

Ive done it with the microwave sterilizer. now i use the advent sterilizer on them once a day. then again I'm a clean freak and sterilize everything :-)

I usually do since I don't buy them in a sterile pack. They're loose in a big candy jar at the lactation store where I purchase parts. I sterilize daily (preemie) and they go in then, too. I use the microwave bags.
    Mum to DS (04/07)
    EPing for former 28 weeker (03/12)