Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply in one breast

Default Oversupply in one breast

I have been ebf my 1 month old from birth and have had a few issues along the way. This oversupply seems to be the next issue for us. He is gaining weight and has plenty of wet and dirty nappies. His dirty nappies are yellow and seedy but appear quite watery and he does make a lot of wet nappies. He has become extremely gassy and I hate to see him so uncomfortable. I seem to have a very forcefull letdown which i think is causing the gas. My right breast always seems more full than the left breast and he struggles more feeding from the fuller breast. He will splutter when feeding from the right and a lot of milk ends up not going down and making him and I very wet! This morning when i woke my right breast felt slighty engorged so i hand expressed just to take the pressure off but have fed him mainly on the left side today only using the right side if I think he has emptied the left. If I carry on doing this will my left breast then start over producing? How can I control my supply to make it more even and slow down the flow? Thanks

Default Re: Oversupply in one breast

I think what you're doing is fine. You don't want to go to too much effort to try and correct supply 'issues' those first couple months unless they are really causing a lot of problems, which in your case I don't think they are. The diapers sound perfectly normal. At any rate, it's best to try to let your supply regulate on it's own. Offering from your low-producing breast first will boost production in that breast while at the same time, sending your other breast the signal that it is producing plenty. It's fairly normal for a mom in the first couple of months to have an enthusiastic supply. Most of the time it will regulate on its own as you and your baby work into something of a feeding pattern.

If the initial flow is bothering him, you could try letting your let-down spray into an empty bottle or washcloth or whatever, then latching him on after it slows down a little bit. You can also try nursing in a reclined position to let gravity help.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

with the PP. You can expect some oversupply in the first few weeks and generally all you have to do is nurse on demand and let your supply eventually find the right level. If you start feeling lopsided or one breast is developing an oversupply issue, just use the smaller, lower-producing breast more until things are more even.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you we will try the advice. Good to know that this is common early on and seems relatively easy to overcome (I hope)!