Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what happens at a year?

Default what happens at a year?

Hello ladies! I'm very proud to say that my little man and I will soon be approaching our one year mark! I never thought we would make it this far and pumping at work is just second nature to me now! My daughter and I did not get to experience this due to lack of support and knowledge. So this is where I need help. What can I expect after the first year? Should I continue to pump 3xs a day? Should I offer more solids? Less milk? Lol as you can see I have many questions. I plan to let my little guy self wean. I would like to be prepared as to what I can expect. Would you be so kind and share your experiences with nursing a toddler?
    I am so blessed!

08-31-01
    02-13-12

2 's in heaven

Default Re: what happens at a year?

Congratulations!
    After the one year mark, your milk supply and your breastfeeding relationship should be well established, and you should be able to gradually drop the amount you are pumping at work. Most moms are able to eventually drop pumping altogether.
    Continue to offer solids as your son requests them. Many babies become more interested in them after a year. Whether you offer other kinds of milk is up to you. Both of my children started drinking cow's milk after a year so my mom would have something to give them while I was at work and no longer pumping. However, if your son is still nursing frequently, cow's milk is not really necessary from a nutrition stand point.

I would only add that if you prefer to continue to pump, there's no reason why you must stop.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Post Re: what happens at a year?

I am wondering the same thing!! I'm wondering just how much milk and solid foods they should be getting once they enter toddlerhood. Right now she eats two small solid food meals a day and many nursing sessions. I was thinking I'd introduce a third meal and see...but it's so hard to imagine her ever being satisfied with solids alone...and I'd have no idea what the portions should be! I guess I've been spoiled because when breastfeeding you don't ever have to worry about things like portions!!

After a year, you can still meet most if not all of your baby's needs with breastmilk. It's not like a baby goes from needing only mama's milk on day 364 of life to needing a ton of solids on day 365. As long as you nurse on demand and let your baby eat as much solid food as she seems to be hungry for, you don't need to fret much about portion sizes. Just let the baby lead the way, and she'll eventually transition herself to a majority-solids diet.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"