Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My son has dental caries. Please share some experiences.

Default My son has dental caries. Please share some experiences.

My son had beginning stages of decalcification at his last dentist visit. They have become worse and although I have been brushing and wiping his teeth off after feedings they are still getting worse. I am needless to say very worried. I am wondering if there is a "right" plan of action. I don't want my son to be in pain at any point. I also know that intervention or no intervention could be detrimental to him. Please share with me some experiences and some advice. I am seeking you gorgeous ladies out here in the La Leche world to help me. Thank you

Default Re: My son has dental caries. Please share some experiences.

Can you share a little more information? How old is your son? Are you still nursing him? Did your dentist mention any reason he might be having issues with his teeth?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

How often does he breastfeed? How often does he have other foods with sugar, like juice? I would follow my dentist's advice and hopefully it gets better for your son's teeth. I've heard breastmilk is actually good for babies teeth and it's other stuff that causes the dental caries, if that helps.

@still.here
    My son is 18 months. I am still nursing him and he is one of the "night suckers" as they call them. My dentist did tell me that my breast milk is pooling in his mouth while he is asleep coating his teeth with milk "sugars" and thereby causing decalcification or weakening of his enamel exposing his pearlys to cavity or decay. What I was wondering was if you or anyone on this forum has experienced this with their young and if so if there was advice on what and what not to do or allow ect.

@gwendlynsmom
    My son breast feeds during the day and at night. He eats solids like bananas bread and soups but nothing with actual sugar. No juice unless my husband is doing one of his juicing things that week in which case he will has a couple sips of diluted freshly squeezed juice. Thanks for your advice ladies. I am still hoping someone can share their experience of similar quality.

Dear Missashley,
    i do not think that it is possible for the milk to pool in your sons mouth. I used to think that (because dentists said so) and then I looked at diagrams of how they suck and it does not seem possible technically for milk to pool. I try to insert this link but am not sure if it will work
    http://www.google.at/imgres?hl=en&cl...r:88,s:0,i:357

i think the link worked. BTW i do not know this particular website I only was trying to find the picture again and found this one instead.

My son has brittle teeth and some cavities. He is now four and still nurses to sleep most days.
    I have been to several dentists with him since he was about 1 year, when he chipped one of his brand new front teeth. I find that in general the dentists I saw with him had no professional knowledge of breastfeeding and were all misinformed of the position of the nipple in the mouth. The milk pool is something which only happens with a bottle (any bottle type i suppose).

My suggestion is: shop around for a dentist.
    I know it is easier said then done but definitly worth it if your child has poor dental material. Our pediatrician said to think of teeth as hair and nails: we can care for them and even make them pretty but there is no way we can change the basic structure or type of hair or nails. If you have thin sparse hair it wil not become thick and full if you brush all the time ;-)

Two of the four dentists we saw were really helpful, despite lack on knowledge about breastfeeding, one, a holistic dentist who uses homeopathy among other things, explained to me that the dental material / teeth material is determined mostly by genes and by influences in the womb (stress and nutrition of mother) and so no amount of brushing will improve the basic material BUT this does not mean no need to brush because it does help maintain the status quo. But he also said it was more important to control the nutrition of the child with poor tooth material (sugary drinks, no candy sucking etc) We were with him for one year and it was great but he had a problem with me breastfeeding (in homeopathy the teaching is that the child be weaned at 10 months, latest 11 months) so I left when it became an issue with him that I still breastfed at 2 years.

The second second who was also helpful we are still with, she has been helpful as she hasa realsitic picture of how much brushing one can accomplish witha 3 and now 4 year old. The two I found unhelpful were people who made me feel guilty about his brittle small and yellow teeth. DOnt stick with someone who makes you feel guilty.

Sorry this is so long. I feel very strong about this. If you don’t read it, my take away would be don’t feel guilty, and find a dentist that doesn’t try to make you feel guilty.

My first had a lot of dental work that I was made to feel very guilty about. She was in pain, and I randomly picked a dentist. There were lots of things I had done “wrong” watered done juices (occasionally), night nursing (constantly), and so forth.

When my second was born I was determined to not let this happen again. He never had a drop of juice, no sugar (other than fruit), no white bread or crackers, I wiped down his teeth after nursing, made brushing a top priority, lectured everyone on all of my "teeth" rules including no blowing on his food (you could pass germs from your mouth to his). And guess what? He needed dental work before he was 2.

Definitely shop around, get a second opinion. For me it was important that the dentist was board certified in pediatric dentistry, and that they had privileges at the hospital I liked in case we went that route. I know where I live there are several “pediatric dentists” who are really just general dentists who want to work with kids. I interviewed all of them within about 20 miles, and took my kids with me to the ones I had lowered it down to. We pick a new one "together".

Talk with your dentist openly and come up with a plan of action that you both agree with. It is very personal on how you deal with early stage decay. You can do things to try and hold off the decay until they are old enough to have work done in the office. We ended up doing filings under GA with both of mine when they were little. My son is on an every three month schedule to have a fluoride treatment (research yourself first) and be watched. He now had a few small cavities that we are keeping an eye on. We also have rx tooth paste. At his age they have a tooth paste that can help balance ph if they think it may be part of the problem.

My first son had to have his four upper incisors capped at 17 months because of extremely invasive dental caries. We were literally watching holes being eaten into his teeth. Definitely get a second opinion, but do what you have to do, and what you're comfortable with doing, to preserve your child's adult teeth!

Breastmilk, by itself, is non-cariogenic (doesn't cause cavities). The KellyMom website has a great article on the subject here, which explains everything better than I can!
    Breastfeeding, babywearing, sci-fi loving, total geek of a mom!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss

I have a friend who has this problem with her 2-year old. It's tough. I think the pooling milk thing is a farce. Do you supplement Vitamin D3 and K2? I started researching this stuff a little late, and although my daughter doesn't have any cavities yet (I don't think) I worry because her teeth don't look perfect in all spots and I noticed that she chipped one, too. I SWEAR that after I started giving her K2, the tooth grew back after a few weeks. It's not totally reshaped, but almost what it was and definitely not as bad as when I first noticed it. Thorne makes a K2/D3 available on Amazon that I bought. I also recently read about magnesium being related. There are some good products out there and information about supplementation. Check out the book "Cure Tooth Decay", as well. The dietary info in there is helpful, although if you don't eat animal products, it could be a problem. But if you do, it could be helpful.