Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BF sick baby

Unhappy BF sick baby

My LO is 6months old and has the flu since Saturday. For the past 3 days, he refuses to nurse. He needs fluids, so I offered a bottle and he'll take it, but screams when I offer the breast. I've tried squirting milk in his mouth to try to intice him to nurse. It's no good. He won't go for it. He's very congested. I don't know if nursing is too much for him right now or why he won't nurse. I want to be able to nurse when he's back to feeling better. Any advice?

Default Re: BF sick baby

Try squirting some breastmilk right into his nose to help with the congestion. Maybe you'd have better luck with dream feeding him if he's refusing while he's awake?

He typically dream feeds, but he won't now. He is refusing the bottle some also. I've had to syringe feed him a few times just to make sure he's getting some fluids.

My LO has been sick for the past couple weeks. The first night she also refused to nurse because of her stuffy nose. The next night I put a humidifier in the room and that has really helped.

Thanks bfwmomof3. I keep a vaporizer in his room to help with the congestion. He's nursed 1-3times the past few nights while he's sleeping. He's wakes from nursing and starts screaming, like, "what are you doing to me?!"

Yeesh!! I'm so frustrated and tired of pumping all day long

It is frustrating when they won't nurse... Hopefully his nose will start clearing up soon. Did you try the breastmilk in the nose?

there is also a spray saline solution for infants that works WONDERS.
    i would keep trying the breast, not bottles.., maybe while you are rocking to sleep, and he is niiicee and drowsy, you can sneak it? sounds manipulative, but we know this baby needs the milk, and needs to stay at your breast!
    good luck, keep us posted!