Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Panicking!!!

Default Panicking!!!

Hi ladies. I started back to work today. My plan is to pump every 2-2.5 hours during a 9 hour separation. Today I fed my LO at 7:45 and left for work. At 10:00 I pumped and got less than 2oz. I'm pumping again now (12pm) not and not getting much. I pumped for 20 minutes and did breast compressions at the end. This is about the same amount I've been pumping right after feeding LO in the mornings (I've done this for a few weeks to build up supply) Can I expect to start getting more as I get used to pumping? Should I panic and get a hospital grade pump now? I'm using a new Medela PISA. I'm so worried that going back to work is going to completely derail breastfeeding. Please help!
    mom to four energetic kids ages 6,7,8 and our newest arrival born 8/14/2012

Default Re: Panicking!!!

Hi mama,
    First, try not to panic. Because that WILL interfere with letdown and pump output. Are you getting a second letdown? Your pumping time and frequency sound good, if you can spare the time lengthening the session might help get that second letdown and improve your yield. I would give it a couple days before you go the hospital-grade pump, but that's definitely an option if you are struggling with the PISA. This is not going to completely derail breastfeeding - lots of mamas struggle with the pump especially until they get their routine down and figure out what works best for them. So hang in there!

Do you have a hands-free pumping bra? That helps, because you can massage your breasts while you pump. You should get more milk out that way.

In the mornings, you tend to have more milk... so that is probably why the after-feeding session produces the same amount as during the work day.

I had to pump religiously every 2 hours (for a half hour each) in order to get enough milk for the next day. That meant 4 times at work, and one time on the drive home. As I got closer to DS's 1 year birthday, I was having to also pump once more before I went to bed. It took a lot of energy, but it was definitely worth it!

Try not to focus on how much you get at each pump session. If you get 2 oz at 10am, you might make up for it at 12pm or 2pm. Relax while you are pumping. You can do it!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex, born 2/27/11

Also - are your white membranes new? As they start to get older, they don't work as well. That will definitely impact your output!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex, born 2/27/11

Thank you so much for the replies. I am so worried about not being able to continue breastfeeding. I will try to relax!!

I just picked up some new white membranes. Do I sterilize them in boiling water or the microwave steam sterilizer? (I posted about this already but didn't get an answer so sorry for the repost : )
    mom to four energetic kids ages 6,7,8 and our newest arrival born 8/14/2012

Check the microwave steam sterilizer packet instructions -- I think it says right on the packet exactly which parts are safe for microwave sterilization.

That said, when I changed my membranes out this last time, I just washed them with hot soapy water before first use. After 6 mos of pumping I'm not really so fastidious anymore with the sterilization routines!

If you do want to boil the white membranes, it's fine. I boil for 10 minutes once a week.