Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squealing and kicking while nursing...

Default Squealing and kicking while nursing...

My daughter is 3 weeks old today. I have noticed since the middle of last week she will kick and squeal while on the breast. Not all the time, but every once in a while. Its almost like she is frustrated. I know she is getting milk because I have pulled her off and she has milk in her mouth or on her lips. So its not for the lack of milk. Then I was thinking my let down was too strong, but usually I get tingly when that happens, and I don't notice it during these situations. Also it is is a forcefull let down, wouldn't she just pull off?

I am so confused!

Default Re: Squealing and kicking while nursing...

Also at her two week appointment (last Tuesday) she surpassed her birth weight (was 7 pds 11 oz at birth and was 8 pds 1 oz at her two weeks).

Does baby seem in pain? If not then you, like me, may have a gymnast on your hands. DS has now evolved from kicking and swinging his arms (which he'll still often do at night) and grunting, moaning, humming, and squeeling during feedings to nursing while I am seated and he is standing as he takes a two minute break from his latest favorite activity- cruising the furniture. I might also mention that at the same time he is wiggling his bottom, humming, and often marching in place. We're quite a picture!

A couple things might work for you to contain your wee one:
    1. contain her in a sling so that as she grows older she doesn't swing her head back and take your boob with her- ouch!
    2. Try wedging her legs between your arm and body in the cradle hold
    3. Hook her top leg over your arm to give her a sense of security.

However, I may be missing something if the baby seems to be in pain. My guess is that if she were, she would pull off and start crying.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Now you would think they would pull off if they need to burp, most do. Mine ain't letting go of that boobie for nuthin'! So, when he starts squirming, I have to pull him off and burp him. Sometimes he burps, sometimes not.

sounds like you have loads of milk, im the same. prepare for rapid weight gain! i usually let her pull off or pull it away and stop the gushing and try again if its really bad. as shes aged she figured out how to take it in.
    i stop frequntley to burp her too.

I have a gymnast as well. From the time she was about a month old, she wouldn't sit still for anything. I'm constantly getting kicked, punched, scratched, you name it, while nursing. If baby doesn't seem to be in pain or sick or anything, you could just be in the same boat. I nurse lying down whenever I can because that helps keep one arm and leg contained. Then I sort of pin her down with my leg and hold her free hand. It looks a little strange, but it works!

She still does this, but not all the time. Mostly in the evening. So we are wondering if, my milk is at the lowpoint for the day (but still some milk there) and or she is tired.

So we are still trying to figure it out. She doesn't see in pain, but mad.

KatWrangler -
    Have you figured out what the problem was? I'm having similar issues w/ my db.

Mine does that too. For her, it's either gas (her face gets red and she eventually stiffens and gets some gas out and/or I burp her) or she's so hungry that she gets frustrated and spazzes. Once she is latched on, the moving around seems to lessen, but I have scratch marks all over my chest from her flailing! And it's like she's running a marathon with her little legs kicking at me. I also have found that rubbing her back will calm her down too.

I cut out all traces of diary and soy to see if it was an allergy thing and I've seen a big diference. You'll notice a difference in a few days and the get better from there if it's that. It could be something else too like wheat or eggs or one of the other common allergens. I didn't think that was the problem and wanted to just try it to eliminate it as a problem. I'm glad I did.