Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: poop help--- PLEASE!!!

Default poop help--- PLEASE!!!

My daughter is 9 weeks old. We had some issues in the beginning, but it got better. She is nursing like a champ. The issue is she does not poop. Every bowel movement since she was 4 weeks old has been stimulated, either by the thermometer trick, and now laxatives. She was 7 lbs at birth and 12 lbs this wednesday at 9 wks. She has only pooped 5 times in the last 4 weeks. This is gross but it started like peanut butter, then fudge, now it is truly formed stool, very solid. SHe is my 4th and I know that this should not start this early. The DR wants me to give her 1 oz of pear juice mixed with 1 oz of water every day now. BUT I have 2 problems with that . 1.) nipple confusion and 2.) can her tummy handle juice. and also WHY would she be this constipated this year.

Default Re: poop help--- PLEASE!!!

It's not uncommon for a baby older than about 6 weeks to not poop very often. I think it was Dr. Jack Newman who mentioned that he'd seen a baby who hadn't gone in 31 days. But as long as the stools aren't hard and pellet-like and baby is growing, there's no cause for concern.

Does your baby get anything other than breastmilk, ever?

As a rule, exclusively breastfed babies do not get constipated. Constipation is not marked by the absence of a bowel movement. Instead, it's when the stools are hard to pass and are hard and pellet-like. Is this what your baby's stools are like?

Your baby should be able to handle the pear juice especially if you are still breastfeeding her. I would be less concerned with nipple confusion than using a laxative and having to stimulate her. You can always use a dropper if you don't want to expose her to a bottle. My baby always took a dropper. I wrote the following earlier today to another poster who is worried about their baby not pooping:

I just want everyone out there to know that it is normal for an exclusively breastfed baby to go even up to three weeks without a bowel movement. A breastfed baby may consume all that he/she is taking in.
    My son from about 4 weeks until I started giving him solids (approx 4.5 months) most often went 7-10 days between bowel movements and occasionally 14-21 days. I was so worried about him. One of the doctors at the clinic said if he seems to be feeling OK, has sufficient wet diapers, that he is not constipated and he is OK. Another doctor I saw at the clinic was really worried about him and said he was constipated and ordered bloodwork and wanted me to take him to the hospital to have some kind of enema done to him. I had the bloodwork done to ease my conscious but posponed the enema that sounded like it was going to be painful because besides getting a little fussy when he hasn't gone in so long seemed fine. I don't know why my doctors didn't have me just give him a little prune juice or a little rice cereal. I think the latter doctor was worried my son had Herchsprungs (sp?) syndrome or something where the nerves in the lower intestines are not developed enough to allow for regular bowel movements. I know he didn't have that because he was a pooping machine from birth till about 4 weeks. Nevertheless, he was and is fine. When I started giving him a little solids he started to poop somewhat regularly again. The clinic I took my son in has since had some training sessions on when an infant is considered to be constipated or not. As long as a babies poop is loose/pasty like exclusively breastfed baby poop is and the baby is not straining to get it out he/she is not considered to be constipated. Hope this helps someone out there. I know when my son was having this problem I looked all over the internet for an answer before I took my son into the doctor. There isn't much out there. Most of what you read will just scare you.
    I am not a health professional so if you are concerned about your child, please take him in to see a doctor.
    Last edited by glennysmom; March 4th, 2006 at 07:48 AM.

My daughter was born on Dec. 27th 2005 and she had the same problem, i ended up giving her LITTLE TUMMY'S GAS DROPS and that seemed to do the trick, she was also put on glyseryn suppositories which also helped.

Momma of 3, Maybe its the birthday- Ashlyn was born on 12/27 too.

Her bowels are very hard, noy like rocks, but formed and hard.

Dianne,
    Is baby getting anything other than breastmilk? Formula supplements, water, juice??? Anything at all? This is important for us to know

Waiting for your response,

Not until last week when he said to give her the juice. Since then she has had 2 oz of mix juice and water. I am using an sns while nursing to give it to her.
    We did go back to Dr today. She is now 12# 4 oz. He said no more laxatives, but has now put her on 1/4 tsp Milk of mag. for 3 days. He said that he can feel the formed stool in her bowel. When she passes it I have to call and take it in.
    What is causing this. She is so miserable, draing her legs up and screaming. She has been passing gas horribly and it smells so bad.

I'm sorry your baby is so miserable! As I mentioned, it's nearly unheard of for an exclusively breastfed baby to become constipated. Have you looked into your diet at all? Does baby get vitamins at all? If so, the iron in them could be causing this. Aside from that, it may be worth the effort to look to your diet, although to be honest, I'm not sure what would cause constipation -- dairy is usually the biggest culprit when it comes to sensitivities in breastfed babies and normally, it causes them to have loose, mucousy stools. Perhaps someone here has some personal experience with this.

You may want to try an elimination diet though just to see if it helps matters, keeping in mind that it can take up to 3 weeks to clear your system out. There's a forum here for breastfeeding & allergies that you may want to check out

It's good that you're working with your pediatrician with this. Please let us know how things are going.

Carole,
    Thanks for your reply. She is not on vitamins. The only thing she gets is breastmilk, and that 2 oz juice mixture. She did have 1- 2oz bottle of formula when she was 2 weeks old but that should long be gone.
    I have been keeping a food journal ( I am on weight watchers), but because it is a constant problem over the last few weeks, we really can't put a finger on an allergin. And as you said, the DR did also that if it were a sensitivity it would cause the opposite, runny stools. She did have a few days of runny and mucously stools but then they went away. I am really at a loss, because I don't know what would cause this. I will do my best to keep you all updated. Just hoping that something changes and soon.

as someone else mentioned, must be b-day...ds born 12-6, now vgoing on 4th day with no bm. he has passed lots of gas, no pain or struggles. only bf, i just went back to work, so 3 days/week he is given ebm in bottle. i guessfrom other responses this is normal? still worried, up until sat, he was poop machine, every time he nursed, he would poop? anybody else have more ideas?