Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Looking for opinion on Ameda pump vs Simplisse

Default Looking for opinion on Ameda pump vs Simplisse

I am a first time mom who is going back to work in 4 weeks. I plan to pump at work but I am not sure which pump would be best for my needs. I am looking at the Ameda Purely Yours or the Simplisse double electric. Does anyone have experience with these pumps ? Thanks!

Default Re: Looking for opinion on Ameda pump vs Simplisse

How long will you be working each day? The APY And the Simplesse are both lighter weight pumps, good for moms who respond well to pumping and who are not relying on the pump for particularly long stretches of time. Plenty of moms have good results with these pumps, but many moms find that they need to go up a tier to something like a Medela Pump in Style or Hygeia Enjoye.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    How long will you be working each day? The APY And the Simplesse are both lighter weight pumps, good for moms who respond well to pumping and who are not relying on the pump for particularly long stretches of time. Plenty of moms have good results with these pumps, but many moms find that they need to go up a tier to something like a Medela Pump in Style or Hygeia Enjoye.
    I will be working 8-10 hours 5 days a week. I will be able to take a break every 3 hours to pump. I have heard about the Hygeia but I don't know anyone with one. I have a fast let down and some of the reviews online said that caused a problem with the hygeia and milk backing in the tubes. I am not a fan of the PIS b/c it is not a closed system and the cost. Do you think that the Hygeia will work for me even with a fast let down?

Fast letdowns are usually caused by oversupply, and oversupply is usually temporary. It's normal to have some degree of oversupply in the beginning, when your baby is brand new and just mastering the art of nursing. But as time goes by, supply adjusts to meet demand very precisely. Once that happens, fast letdowns are usually not a problem any more.

Since you're going to be working long hours and full work weeks instead of part time, I'd encourage you to get a PIS or a Hygeia rather than either of the lighter weight pumps you're considering. I get the feeling that the Hygeia is preferable to the PIS because it's a closed system and, again, because I don't think fast letdowns are likely to be a problem for you in the long term.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Thanks for putting my mind at ease in regards to the fast let down. I am going to go with the hygeia. Hopefully I will have by next week so I can start learning to pump and build my stash. :-)

Let us know how it goes! I hope the Hygeia works well for you. If not, there are plenty of knowledgeable pampers here who can help you troubleshoot.

I know you said you were going with the Hygeia but I just wanted to put my 2 cents in for the Ameda PY. I have been using it for 6 months at work and at home and have had no trouble getting the milk I need daily. I pump 3x at work and sometimes 2x at home and maybe on the weekend once in a while. I changed all of the tubes, diaphragms etc. once so far and have more than one set so I can rotate them just to keep everything new-ish. I like that it is a closed system and that is one of the reasons why I chose it. If I ever had any trouble I was planning on renting a hospital grade pump but haven't had to go that route yet.
    Good luck in your pumping endeavour! For me it has been challenging but totally worth it.