Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Would rather sleep than eat

Default Would rather sleep than eat

Ok so my 2 week old daughter is a fabulous sleeper. Like 4 or 5 hours at a time. She will NOT nurse while asleep. Her feeding has not slipped into a pattern; sometimes she will nurse on one side and sometimes both. I feed on demand, so I look for her cues, but I'm beginning to doubt that she isn't eating the feeding 10 or 12 times a day. Her poos have a lot of green in them...Can someone tell me about the foremilk/hindmilk cause? Is this something that needs to be corrected? Is so, how do I do it - especially with her feeding so inconsistantly? I've held off pumping because I've been getting engorged, but now I'm wondering if I should be pumping to make sure I have enough supply for when my sleeping beauty decides to eat regularly?
    I'm Rebecca; the local fish out of water in small town Alabama
    DS Duglen born Jan 2011 & breastfed for 16 months - never tasted formula
    DD Debra born Dec 2012; my NATURAL girl & boob lover

Default Re: Would rather sleep than eat

This would be really early for any pattern, and I really would not worry about green poop unless there are other issues. Is your baby gaining well?

cue feeding does not mean wait for cues if baby is not nursing often enough. If you think your baby would benefit from nursing more frequently, it's ok to wake baby up to nurse. If there IS any foremilk/hindmilk issues, which are almost never really an issue anyway-nursing more frequently helps with that, because the longer milk has to 'build up' in the breast the nore foremilk baby will get at the next session. But uneeded pumping cpuld cause more issues, as it would stimulate more production, which means, overproduction, if you already make enough. Which you do, if baby is gaining well.

Baby may just start cueing on her own more anyway, 2 weeks is when many babies kind of 'wake up' and start wanting to nurse a lot.