Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 month old and solids

Default 8 month old and solids

Hi Ladies.
    Going through some threads about solids and first foods. Just looking for a little insight from you experienced Mamas! ( I remember a few certain threads Mommal and Djs mom and others had great details on how they progressed with solids?)

We did a very relaxed approached to starting solids around 6 months-ish... mostly BLS/ BLW but I do give him some in a mesh feeder at times and I will let him play with a spoon and bowl for fun, sometimes a little food on the spoon, just kinda a little of both. He's not really eating much of anything unless I really "feed" him myself, which I really don't want to do anyway Also I had been given him frozen popsicle homeade food that we didnt finish, like the rest of an avocado, banana, smashed up peas, etc. When I put smashed up food or a whole piece of fruit on his tray in front of him, he is somewhat interested and plays a bit with it, but just isn't really acting so 'hungry' for food, IYKWIM.

I'm wondering, does he need to be eating more or do I need to be doing something different? He's 8 months old. No bottles. Plays with a sippy but not really drinking.

Another little thing: the LO is on amoxicillin for the 1st time for an ear infection. His Pediatrician ( who is awesome) mentioned giving him his meds in Yogurt for better acceptance. I was like..HMMM?>??? what dairy"?? She just looked puzzled at me and we moved on... She is usually right on and very bf supportive. Did she just forget or is it generally acceptable now to introduce dairy 'products' before 1 year?

Thanks Ladies! ust looking for fresh reminders and Happy New Year

Erin
    FTM 4.24.12

Erin

Default Re: 8 month old and solids

My baby is 7 months and we are having the same experience. I was reading something, I think it was Dr Sears, and it said that your job is to keep offering solids, making them available, and it is baby's job to eat what he/she needs. If you are breastfeeding on demand, he probably doesn't need a lot of solids, so from his point of view, why bother? Nursing is so much yummier!!

I have also been confused about the dairy before 1 year thing, but I have read several places (eg here: http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/dairy.htm) that yogurt and cheese are fine and very good for babies starting at 6-8 months. Just not milk as a beverage. I've read a lot about this and it is still not entirely clear to me why!

My understanding is that the cow's milk proteins are broken down in yogurt and cheese, so they're easier to digest and can be introduced before plain cow's milk.

I'm having trouble finding a reference though! I'll try to track down more info.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    My understanding is that the cow's milk proteins are broken down in yogurt and cheese, so they're easier to digest and can be introduced before plain cow's milk.

I'm having trouble finding a reference though! I'll try to track down more info.
    This.
    And as someone who was very diligent with solids, while my child was curious and exploratory (and explored things with his mouth) he didn't realize he "tasted" with his tongue until about 9 month old. And that was simply an observation. He didn't start even swallowing any food until between 8& 9 months and didn't actually start associating solid food with hunger until about 14months old. There is a TON of adult projection that goes into solid food that just isn't true. And it's starts with the idea that small babies who watch us intently really WANT our food. But they don't. And the key to BLS IS to let them explore and figure things out at their own pace. They have a suck reflex built in so if you put a spoon far enough into their mouth YES they suck it down. But not because the love it. But because there is nothing else they can do. Just like you can't do anything else besides kick if your doctor hits your knee with a rubber mallet. Involve your baby in the ritual of mealtimes. Break the parts of your meal down that are acceptable whole real foods for a baby to eat and let him figure it out. He will not eat "because he is hungry" until after the year point. Nor should he. You don't want solids interfering with how much breastmilk he consumes AT ALL.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks for the replies!
    Really, it's great to be backed up.

Yes, I am in agreement. There is a ton of adult projection on solids with these young babies and it's so false and unrealistic.

I'm just going to keep offering. I think I just need to always surround myself with solid advice and research. It's hard though, when people around you, although they may mean well, but they give a lot of BAD and unsolicited advice. Happens a lot in many parenting areas I know.

Appreciate you ladies

Erin
    FTM 4.24.12

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommylove View Post
    I'm just going to keep offering. I think I just need to always surround myself with solid advice and research. It's hard though, when people around you, although they may mean well, but they give a lot of BAD and unsolicited advice.
    Yup, totally agree ... I lost track of how many people told me to "mix some cereal with his formula so he'll sleep better" (starting at like 3 mos). I just nod and smile. I think it's popular now to push solids early. Everyone I know in real life thinks my LO is weird because he's almost 8 mos and zero interest in solids ... but then I read these boards and am completely reassured he's just a normal breastfed baby

If it helps, my 7 m.o. is much more interested in trying foods she sees me eating rather than those i just plant on her tray or offer her out of context, so to speak. Ex: she'll eat the mashed avocado off a piece of bread if that's what I'm eating (each our own toast) but not so much if I hold out a piece of avocado or offer some in a spoon. She also prefers to feed herself, at least holding the food with me if it's too slippery for her alone; putting the spoon in her mouth, etc.