Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: whole cow's milk with iron supplements vs. formula for 9 mo.

Question whole cow's milk with iron supplements vs. formula for 9 mo.

Help! I have a 9 month old little boy. I was started on a new medication which decreased my milk supply to virtually nothing. So, I must choose formula or whole cow's milk with iron supplements. I have done research about both. I have found that cow's milk (WCM) has the improper balance of fat and nutrition. I also know that to high of iron level can effect the liver and kidney functions. I also know that WCM is high in chloride, sodium and potassium as well as it irritates the lining of baby's intestines.
    Formula is synthetic but has the proper amount of nutrition. I just need help choosing.

Thank you in advance from a nervous mother.

Default Re: whole cow's milk with iron supplements vs. formula for 9

ugh. hugs to you, i'm no good for advice on your struggle, just to say that i would hate to ever use formula, all of it is LOADED with HFCS and CS solids, among many MANY other ridiculous things.. but you are stuck in a tight spot! have you ever heard of purchasing pumped milk from other mommies out there? i know this can be done. also, the winston price foundation has "formula" recipes, but they consist of using goats milk and raw liver etc.
    i can't wait to see advice on this topic!
    and as hard as it is to hear, try to relax. your baby will be fine, no matter what you decide to do.

Cow's milk will not provide adequate nutrition. If the choice is between the two, formula is the way to go.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Choose formula. I know it's rough to have to face the choice to feed your child something that has an ingredient list as long as your arm... But formula really is the next best thing to breastmilk. It is much closer in composition to human milk than anything else out there.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"