Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7 month old pulling while still latched. Umm, ouch!

Default 7 month old pulling away while still latched. Umm, ouch!

Hey ladies!

It's been a while since I've been on here, but I'm having a problem with nursing #2 - his name is Wyatt and was born on June 5th weighing in at 9.1lbs. He's amazing and I haven't had any issues with nursing him until the last couple of weeks (a much different experience than with Hudson, thank God!)
    His new thing is that at every feeding, from beginning to end, he is either pulling away from me while still latched, or pushing my boob away while still latched. Sometimes he actually pulls off completely - Super painful!
    Any ideas on why this could be? I'd understand if he was doing it only during let-down or something (I do have a pretty fast let-down), but it starts when he first latches and then continues until he's done. He doesn't have any issues - poops and pees like a champ, weighs over 18lbs, sleeps well and is super happy...so what's with this new habit?!

Thanks!
    Last edited by @llli*hudsy.and.me; January 3rd, 2013 at 08:39 AM.
    I'm Rhianon.

Married to Seth on June 9th, 2007

Mama to my beautiful Birth Center boys:
    Hudson born May 7th, 2010. My 10lb chunk.
    Wyatt born June 5th 2012. My 9.1lb "little" guy.

I love Jesus. I wish I were a ballerina. I’m always cold. My wonderful husband and I are about as opposite as you can get. but I love him more than I could express. I don’t have the best memory in the world, but I can quote F.R.I.E.N.D.S at you all day long. My favorite color is blue.

Default Re: 7 month old pulling while still latched. Umm, ouch!

Teething? That's my first thought, anyway...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My 3 month old has been doing this since he was one month, Id like to know the answer too!

What about thrush? Itchy mouth causing baby to pull off?

My DD (7 months also) is doing the same thing and I can't figure out why! Extremely painful. At least she doesn't have teeth yet!
    I didn't succeed with Breastfeeding with my first two children I'M NOT GIVING UP THIS TIME! I PROMISED MY DAUGHTER!

One bottom tooth poked through today and 2 more are just about to. Problem solved? I hope so. At least for now..?

I'm Rhianon.

Married to Seth on June 9th, 2007

Mama to my beautiful Birth Center boys:
    Hudson born May 7th, 2010. My 10lb chunk.
    Wyatt born June 5th 2012. My 9.1lb "little" guy.

I love Jesus. I wish I were a ballerina. I’m always cold. My wonderful husband and I are about as opposite as you can get. but I love him more than I could express. I don’t have the best memory in the world, but I can quote F.R.I.E.N.D.S at you all day long. My favorite color is blue.

Fingers crossed! Watch out for nips now that those new teeth are through. If he starts biting, just take him off the breast, tell him "No biting, hurts mama", put him down, and walk away for a bit. It may take multiple repetitions for him to learn that biting = the (temporary) end of fun nursing time, but eventually he should make the connection.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"