Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Boil order

Post Boil order

I pump at work and was just told (of course right after I pumped) that we are under a boil order because of contamination. I did not wash my pump attachments in the water but I washed my hands then touched the parts to my pump to assemble it before pumping. So, I more than likely touched the parts that may come in contact with my milk. I don't ever wash my parts with the water here I only use the Medela wipes because I am leery of the water to begin with.
    My question is, do I dump my milk from today?

Default Re: Boil order

Were your hands still wet? If not I probably wouldn't worry about it.

If they were...I'm really not sure what I'd do in that situation. I suppose it might depend on what the potential contamination is? And how long it's been contaminated. I mean if they just called the boil order because of contamination that just came up...whatever water was in the pipes already would have probably been alright. And I guess it also depends how hard up you are for milk. If it wouldn't be a huge deal to lose what you've pumped so far I'd say better safe than sorry. But if you need every drop...I don't know.

That's a tough decision.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

That's it, I don't remember if my hands were wet. I do this on autopilot so who knows? Kinda strapped for milk. I have a tiny supply but not much.

How old is your baby?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

6 months

I don't know what I'd do. Six months is still pretty little and they could be more susceptible to whatever it is in the water if it's something like bacteria. I think the safest thing to do would be to throw it out. Just in case. But you might be able to find out what exactly the contamination is and how much water you'd have to have before it's a danger. It could be something that's harmless in very small amounts. If you want to try and save it I'd look to see if you can get more information.
    --Anonymous