Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping quantity

Default Pumping quantity

Hi ,
    My question is about the amount of milk I am pumping at each breast.
    I am back at work and my LO is getting expressed milk in a bottle while,I'm away and nurses when I'm home. She is 8 weeks today and dr says she is growing very well. She also is giving me plenty of diapers wet and poo. When not with me she averages around 2.5-3oz every2-3 hrs. While I am at work though, I am only pumping 2.5 oz at each breast. Totaling 4.5 to 5oz at times a little less. Is that normal? Is the amount I pump supposed to be a total of what my LO eats at each feeding or is it the total at each breast. I concerned because I want to pump extra so hat I can keep my supply going while at work.

Default Re: Pumping quantity

With my son I would end up pumping 8 to 10 oz per breast when I would but only gave my son 4 oz bottles. Most of the time he was happy with that if he seemed like he wasn't happy or wanted more he would be offered 2 more oz. So if she seems happy is putting on weight and has a good amount of dirty diapers I wouldn't worry. If she seems like she wants more after I would have them offer a little more. I know with my son when he was teething got hurt or had a fever he would want fuss for more or want a comfort bottle and he was given them since he was nurse on demand he got small bottles that way as well thankfully bottles were not a huge demand thing for him he is more of a boob guy hope that helps

Welcome to the forum! The amount your baby is drinking sounds right on target - between 1 and 1.5 ounces/hour. And that is what you should expect to get too. So if you are pumping as often as she is nursing (which is what you should aim for, every 3 hours), then you should get out of both breasts the same amount that she is drinking. Since you're getting more than that - assuming you're pumping every time she's nursing - you're actually ahead of her by an ounce or two. 4.5 to 5 ounces pumping output is good output - again assuming that you're pumping every 3 hours. Is that what you're doing?

Just read sweetdarling1983's post - 8-10 ounce per breast is an unusually high amount to obtain with the pump. Every mama is different but that is at the way high end (lucky you, sweetdarling!) - so don't feel like you're producing too little if you're producing 4.5 - 5 ounces total. Would not offer baby more than what you are offering now; if LO seems really hungry you can give a 1 ounce topper on top of the 2.5 -3 ounces but would not go above 4 ounces and avoid "comfort bottles" - because if you have normal/average output it's really hard to keep up with that. Plus it means LO is going to nurse less with you outside of work hours and decrease stimulus to your breasts to make milk.

Ya I know I was lucky to have the supper over supply. I also put it to really good use and gave the extra milk to my best friend who gave up on BFing due to pressure of the dr and bf. She really wanted to breast feed and just lack of at home support broke her down so she was real happy i was able to give her my extra most of all once we found out her son was spitting up so much due to a allergy to formula.

That's wonderful you could do that! Just don't want people to freak out if they are not having that kind of pump output!

i meant to put that but son was helping me type... guess i didn't notice he took that part out

Thanks for you response. I am more at ease now. I am trying my best to pump every three. Sometimes a little before or after but around that ball park.

I read that and my jaw dropped!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*drivera View Post
    Thanks for you response. I am more at ease now. I am trying my best to pump every three. Sometimes a little before or after but around that ball park.
    Sounds like you are right on track then!