Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upper Lip Tie/ Labial Frenulum

Default Re: Upper Lip Tie/ Labial Frenulum

At least he recognized that it needed to be done

Did they teach you stretching massages and exercises to do several times/day? It's really important to keep the edges of the wounds separate as they heal to prevent reattachment. There's some videos on Dr. Kotlow's website.

Hopefully the LC can give you some good suck training exercises.

Well, the visit by the IBCLC went well. In a 40 minute, sleepy feed, DS got 5oz!!! Fingers crossed that we are finally on the right track!

Just wanted to give another update. He is already nursing amazingly well. He's emptying me out within 10-15min. He went to bed around 930pm, woke up at 1 to eat and then at 450. I am so relieved. I was terrified that there would be no improvement, as that's always a possibility. I'm still a little hesitant to say all is well, but it looks like we're on the right path.

Lllmeg, djsmom and Mommal and all the other ladies that have helped me... thank you so much for all of your help these past five months. What you guys do is amazing. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alilwest View Post
    I have tried manually flanging (is that even a word?) his upper lip and pulling his jaw down, but neither have helped the milk transfer. When I try to flip his upper lip out nothing really happend . It won't flip out. A little bit of the top lip will fold out , if that even makes sense, but it doesn't flange like its supposed to.

Melindab, thank you for sharing. That's great to hear. Part of my fear is that he's too old and his dysfunctional latch is too engrained to change. I'll have to cross that bridge when I get there, though I certainly feel more optimistic. Did he gain the 6oz after eating the donor milk or after resuming nursing with you?

Lllmeg sent me an article from a peer reviewed scholarly journal all on lip ties and correcting them. It's too bad that so many people in the medical community aren't up to speed on this. Our ped and ENT both told us that the lip tie wouldn't cause bf-ing issues. It's quite sad.
    She gained 4oz with donor milk in a week. She then began refusing the supplements and fighting them. So i relcutantly stopped them. We just had a weight check on tuesday and she had gained 11oz in 2 weeks without any donor milk!

That's great. Following my IBCLC's advice has caused my supply to tank. I get in 4hours LESS Thani would get in 2.25 hours before.

Everything she recommended contradicted what I'd read here, but I thought I should trust her. schedules, timed feeds, sleeping though the night, 5+oz per meal. She sabotaged it.
    Last edited by @llli*alilwest; January 27th, 2013 at 06:13 PM.