Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upper Lip Tie/ Labial Frenulum

Default Re: Upper Lip Tie/ Labial Frenulum

I'm so mentally exhausted over all of this breastfeeding stuff. I have an appt with an ENT on Wednesday, but I don't know if he uses a laser, which is overwhelmingly recommended. I watched dr. Kotlow's video and am convinced that DS has a PTT in addition to his ULT. I met with an IBCLC yesterday and she's assured me that things will be better after DS gets clipped but I just can't help but feel so negative. DS is 5mo and 1wk and I've been struggling with weight gain since he was less than a week old. I have the posts to prove it. To date, I'm on the couch for at least 5-6 hours after work nursing, and leave the house maybe one time per weekend. We cosleep. Still , minimum weight gain. If we're told that nothing can be done about his ties, I'm done. I've written these pathetic pity me posts before, but I feel empty. Like I have no more energy to put into this. This isn't easier than formula. This isn't easier than EPing. This has been a nightmare since day one. And I can't even put into words how irate I am that this wasnt caught by a doctor. This is my last attempt at giving it my all.

Can anyone share their story of improved nursing/ weight gain post frenectomy?

Sorry for the pathetic post . Everyone near and dear to me is sick of hearing me talk about breastfeeding and my troubles. You're all I've got.

Hang in there, mama! You've worked so hard up to this point. I wish I could tell you that nursing was instantly better after DD's PTT and ULT were cut, but it took a little while to notice a difference (plus we had undiagnosed thrush). The LO has to learn to suck properly. A lot of people recommend craniosacral therapy before and after the cut.

As for it not being easier than formula...keep in mind that this is NOT the only reason to breastfeed. You've put in all this work because you know it's the best thing you can do for your LO. You can do this!

Yes you should be offered suck training and/or excersises to do, post surgery. This is often needed even for much younger babies post-release.

Look at it this way-when a baby has tt or lt that affects nursing, that is a physical barrier to being able to nurse correctly. Neither you or baby can do anything about that. Once the physical barrier is removed, at the very least, the possibility of improvement then exists.

I do think it's important to trust and have confidence in your doctor. So, see how you feel about it after meeting with the ENT. This is one your IBCLC sent you to, right?

Yes. This is the ENT my IBCLC referred me to. We are going to go to him. I think I'm just scared of being blown off again. I obviously am not just breastfeeding because its supposed to be easier or else I would have stopped a long time ago. But, I feel like the light at the light at the end of the tunnel is always getting farther and farther away. You know? Ideally, the first few months of hardcore dedication are supposed to pay off by having an easier time later on... I guess that's what I meant. We're still having to be hardcore dedicated. Anyway, it doesn't really matter. I'm cautiously optimistic that things will work out. And, lllmeg, you're right it is a physical barrier, I think I'm just used to disappointment in this arena.
    Are the sucking exercises something the ENT will teach me or will I have to meet with the IBCLC again?

My son had his lip and tongue released last Thursday. He's had very minimum weight gain too, he's 3 months old and only gained 2 pounds from birth. I'm not sure about weight, since I don't think I would have seen a difference yet, but I do know my nipples are less flanged as of yesterday. It wasn't something I noticed immediately though. The ENT we went to didn't use a laser, to my knowledge there aren't any around here that do which is weird because the veterinary clinic I work at uses a laser for surgery.

Hang in there, hopefully it will help! I truly think it's helping my DS, even if the difference wasn't immediately apparent!
    Married to wonderful husband Chris - 2004.

Finally, after 8 years of trying, we were blessed with a beautiful Tristan - Oct 2012

Proud of my bonus son Drake - Oct, 2000

We're having so much fun

On our way to the ENT. Ugh... I'm so nervous. Fingers crossed that he can help us.

Good luck, can't wait to hear how it goes! Hoping that this will be the answer to your troubles

Wow. That was awful. Doc clipped both ULT and PTT and did some accupuncture on me and DS. About 1 week healing time. Our IBCLC is coming over tonight.

At least he recognized that it needed to be done

Did they teach you stretching massages and exercises to do several times/day? It's really important to keep the edges of the wounds separate as they heal to prevent reattachment. There's some videos on Dr. Kotlow's website.

Hopefully the LC can give you some good suck training exercises.

Well, the visit by the IBCLC went well. In a 40 minute, sleepy feed, DS got 5oz!!! Fingers crossed that we are finally on the right track!