Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 ounces of formilk

Default 5 ounces of formilk

is what I pumped yesterday. It looks awful. Should I just throw it out?

Default Re: 5 ounces of formilk

No, definitely not, unless your freezer is so full that you can't close the door or something.

There's nothing wrong with the so-called foremilk. It contains all the same stuff that the so-called hindmilk does- fat, protein, fat-soluble vitamins- albeit in somewhat different proportions from milk that is expressed at the end of the feeding.

Have you been pumping long?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Just a week. Usually for about 6 minutes and I get about 4-6 ounces. I just never saw such poor looking milk and was afraid it might make her gassy or might not satisfy her.

I used to switch bottles and keep pumping after filling two 5oz bottles each breast in the beginning. I would pump for about 10 minutes total (20 minutes including set up / clean up) and get 20-25 oz per session. I would then mix the bottles together before freezing or giving to the sitter. That way there was a better mix in each bottle. I had way oversupply though at first and I used to block feed her when I wasn't working. I had a great freezer stash there in the beginning.

How old is your baby?

ETA: you've only been pumping for a week- maybe this is your first week back on the job? Anyway, the longer you pump the more you'll see variations in your milk. Color changes, differing proportions of cream, changes in the amount you can produce in a given amount of pump time...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

The baby is one month old. I have not gone back to work yet. Very new to all of this.

Okay, I kind of thought that might be the case! So here's something you might not know about human milk- I sure didn't when I started nursing!- during the first few weeks, your milk looks sort of creamy. I think this might be because it still contains a certain amount of colostrum? Anyway, after a few weeks the milk changes and starts looking really thin and watery. Almost bluish white. Let it settle in the fridge for a day, and you'll almost certainly observe a layer of fat separating out and floating to the top of the bottle. A large bottle- and 5 oz is a really large bottle; most breastfed babies take more like 2-4 oz at a time- that contains a lot of the so-called foremilk will usually have a slightly lower proportion of cream. But again, let it all settle and you'll see that there is fat in the bottle.

How often are you pumping? Are you pumping every day, are you pumping at a specific time of day?

Once per day, but not every day. Usually I do it early in the morning after I feed her, but that time it was in the evening after skipping a feeding (she had a bottle of expressed milk her father). I think that was the cause of the difference.

Sounds like you're well on your way to a very respectable stash of milk! A lot of moms only pump enough to be 1-2 days ahead of their babies' needs, knowing that they'll be bringing home fresh milk from work each day. Since you'll be storing a fair amount of milk, I suggest reviewing the storage guidelines: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/m...expressedmilk/ make sure you read the bit about lipase- if you're storing for a while you'll want to pull bags out from time to time for taste tests!