Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please Help- Is it too late for me to have my baby latch on.

Default Please Help- Is it too late for me to have my baby latch on.

Hello,

My LO is 6 week. He was born at 36 week, weight 4lb 8oz. When he first came out he couldn't latch on. I've been to LC for several week since he was born. they gave me a breast shield which help. when i try to latch him at home he won't latch on. he will cry his little heart out. i usually end up feeding him through the bottle. He is currently drinking breast-milk only.
    I have to go back to work in a month. Is it too late for him to learn how to latch on?
    Should i just stick to pumping?

Please help me..

Default Re: Please Help- Is it too late for me to have my baby latch

Will he latch onto the shield still or only the bottle?

only the bottle..

This link covers all the ways I know of to get a baby to the breast: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/ The skin-to-skin and instant reward techniques are said to be especially useful. It is definitely possible to get a baby back to the breast, but as with all things baby, there are no guarantees.

How is pumping going? Anything we can help with in that department?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Skin to skin time is probably the biggest thing as far as I'm concerned. I wore my preemie in a wrap with her just in a diaper and me topless. I still looked mostly covered and she was warm enough even though it was winter. It helped tremendously with getting her to nurse - though admittedly she would still latch onto the shield, she still took the bottle more easily (I think because her mouth was so tiny and my breast was so big).

My DD2 was a preemie who initially wasn't allowed to feed orally. Around 6 months old (2 months corrected) she was allowed so we started by spending more time together skin to skin. She didn't really go right for it but I would squeeze some milk out onto my nipple so she could smell it and lick it if she wanted to. After a few weeks of this and trying to guide her to the breast, she would feed a little bit. She was having bottles the rest of the time while being weaned off a feeding tube. Shortly after her feeding tube was removed she decided she to exclusively breastfeed. Initially she would feed every 1-2 hours, and I let her feed as and when she wanted to let her get in her own rhythm. While you may not be able to do that bit when you're at work, you should still be able to keep trying when you're at home? I can't advise on the shield as we never used one.
    Mum of 4. DS1 Dec 05, DD1 Feb 07, DS2 Apr 08, DD2 Feb 12
    Currently and premature DD2 after for 6 months while DD2 was tube fed. Successfully re-lactated!