Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has or does yoru kid do this

Default Has or does yoru kid do this

At times when my mom has watched my son for more than a hour he goes up to her and lifts her shirt to attempts to nurse. Well tonight after we ate dinner and he nursed he got down went up to my mom tried to get her boob out and did and latched on he didn't care it was empty he was happy as heck and the rest of us were laughing so hard at him. Is this normal ?

Default Re: Has or does yoru kid do this

Well... quite frankly I think it's abnormal for you to let your son latch anywhere but your own breasts, and for your mother to let him take her breast out to nurse, but that's just my opinion. I've seen babies point at other boobs besides their mothers, but never make a serious attempt to latch on.

Wink Re: Has or does yoru kid do this

Babies are naturally very curious and trying to nurse from another women is totally normal behavior. I think it is funny that you/she let him try. My son has tried to latch on to my husbands nipple, which was hilarious to me, but totally freaked him out.
    Check out this baby trying to nurse from a statue, so cute.
    http://www.organicbabyatlanta.com/ba...ing-on-statue/

It might be abnormal to you but seeing how trying wasn't going to cause any harm and my son hasn't given up in 11 months of everyday being told no over and over. We figured to let him try find out for him self and see that there is nothing in there. Now that he knows there is no milk in there that there is no point in trying to get in to grandmas shirt maybe he will stop trying when she is watching him.My son just laughs at my husbands chest he will take one finger poke my husbands nipple and giggle like there is something funny about it.

Props to your mom for letting him try. If it soothes him, how is it any weirder than a pacifier? It may be out of the range of socially "acceptable" but it doesn't make it biologically abnormal - it's totally normal for babies to be curious and especially on the maternal grandmother, because maternal females carry the same scent. So your mom, and if you have a sister would smell a lot like you to your baby. My daughters have all tried to nurse on my husband. And they'll position to nurse on almost anyone if hungry. But your mom offering the latch is special. Different, yes. But mostly because of your mom's willingness to comply - not because your baby's request was unusual.

Haha well I guess I'm the abnormal one then

Yeah, my daughter only tries to do that with my Mom. Noone else and it is actually her paternal grandmother who provides our regular daycare. I think it has something to do with the scent being the same. Mine hasn't actually gotten the breast out yet, but hearing your story I'll know to expect it. I'll talk to Grammy and see how she feels about letting her try if she does get it out. My guess is she would. Not what you hear about on the street nowadays, but half the time people are judging me for nursing my own daughter so I don't place too much value on public opinion.

Its not that your abnormal just our views are different. Since he has gotten to find out for him self he has stopped trying to nurse grandma. They got to spend the morning just cuddling and playing with out the debate over her breasts like normal. It might be odd to some of you guys that we did this but heck now that he knows grandmas boobs might have the same smell they got nothing in them and leaves them alone. He is a hard headed stubborn child who once he has his mind set on something he will keep trying until he does it behind your back or you give in. I have learned to let him do as he wishes as long as it wont hurt him and than most of the time he will do it the one time and move on to other things. I know a lot of people where I live look down on nursing in public and go out of there way to let you know there feelings. For the most part I just smile and ignore them but there are a few who went out of there way to try and get me to stop. Like the lady who works at the grocery store she followed me around and kept asking if I wanted to use the bathroom or they had a blanket I could cover my sons head with even after informing her I was with in my right and her not taking no for a answer I now go out of my way to nurse any time I see her working. She has given up trying to make me stop but I still get the evil eye and I cant help but smile ear to ear hahaha

My son roots on my mom too. He doesn't have the fine motor skills yet to try to get under her shirt, but I'm sure he'd try if he could! And a few weeks ago, one morning he was rolling around in bed as we were all waking up, and he rolled right up to my husband and latched on him! Baby quickly made a sour face because he got a mouthful of hair. Hubby and I both got a good laugh out of that one.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*blueberrysmom View Post
    Well... quite frankly I think it's abnormal for you to let your son latch anywhere but your own breasts, and for your mother to let him take her breast out to nurse, but that's just my opinion. I've seen babies point at other boobs besides their mothers, but never make a serious attempt to latch on.
    Why? Why do you feel this way? There are women here who cross nurse. And there are women here who WOULD cross nurse depending on the situation. LLL doesn't endorse that but I know of plenty of it.

Way too lazy for formula