Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No desire to wean and wondering if I'm crazy

Default No desire to wean and wondering if I'm crazy

So, my DD is 11 months old and I have no desire to wean her. Everyone I talk to seems to be forcing themselves to keep at it because it is the right thing to do or their lo isn't ready so I feel a little crazy. Is it strange to feel the way I do? I always planned on letting baby wean when ready, but I've come to find out that it isn't as simple as that. Every decision I make influences her decisions so how do I know when she's ready? I don't want to force her to wean nor do I want to force her to continue. She eats solid foods when offered mostly at dinner time from my plate or DH's. I'm trying to figure out if I should offer more often or keep status quo. Also, I work (just changed from full time (40+ hours / wk) to part time 3 days / wk. So I was thinking it might be good to have Grandma (who stays with her while I'm at work) give her some solid foods while I'm gone. After she's had a full ebm meal.
    I'm looking for opinions, stories, what worked for you. . .

Default Re: No desire to wean and wondering if I'm crazy

If you're crazy, then so am I. I had always planned to wean my kids at a year- that is, until I actually had kids and discovered that everything I was so sure I was going to do, everything I was certain I knew, was wrong! You couldn't pay me enough to wean at a year. For me, nursing a toddler is the payoff on the big investment you make with nursing a baby. Nursing is the solution to the problem of a teething toddler, a cranky toddler, a hurt toddler, a sick toddler, a sleepy toddler, etc. It's my a e in the hole when it comes to parenting!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It's certainly not crazy to want to keep nursing your toddler My little guy is 14 months and I love nursing him almost as much as he loves nursing We nurse about 6-7 times per day at this point. That said, if your baby is only taking solids once a day, you probably do want to start offering more often pretty soon. I offered solids twice a day until my son was about 11 months, then increased it to 3 times per day. He now eats 3 meals per day plus a snack or two plus nursing 6 or 7 times per day (usually 5 or 6 times during the day and once overnight). There's no big rush to get them to take solids over breastmilk but once they hit a year, solids do become a more important part of their nutrition. As long as you are offering solids 2 or 3 times per day I don't think you need to worry about how much they eat. My philosophy is that it's my job to decide what kind of food to offer and when, and his job to decide how much to eat of what I've offered. Has worked well for us, so far
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

Thank you for your responses. Also, I've started offering solid food 2-3x/day. Man can she down some avocado! This sure is fun isn't it!