Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Questions I feel stupid asking

Default Questions I feel stupid asking

My sweet newborn will nurse like a champ on one side and then will fall into the deepest sleep EVER about a quarter of the way into the 2nd boob leaving me still engorged and ready to express enough by hand just for relief Tickling her feet or tummy doesn't work, not even running a damp washcloth over her helps.

After nursing, she will spit up a small portion of the milk. Doc said she is gaining weight so it's ok, but I'm wondering if she is getting too much for her tummy? Should I reduce the duration of her nursing sessions and increase the frequency?

Today she has had GREEN liquid poop...I looked in the poop forum, but I didn't see much of anything that answered the "Is it normal?" question. Seeds are yellow, it seems to be the liquid portion that is absorbed into the diaper. I don't recall my sons poo ever doing that

TIA ladies!
    I'm Rebecca; the local fish out of water in small town Alabama
    DS Duglen born Jan 2011 & breastfed for 16 months - never tasted formula
    DD Debra born Dec 2012; my NATURAL girl & boob lover

Default Re: Questions I feel stupid asking

Sound likes she is done. So just nurse on the side she didn't finish the NEXT time she eats. If her pattern is like that consistently your milk will begin to match her need.

Way too lazy for formula

Liquid green poop is caused by baby drinking too much foremilk and not enough of the fatty hindmilk. This is what I was told when me and my DD experienced the same thing while we were getting the supply right. What worked for me was only offering one side at each feed, and alternating sides at each feed. I didn't express any off on the engorged side, and it took a week or so for the worst of it to calm down. Then eventually my milk production went in sync with my daughters needs and her poop went back to normal. There's noting like the paid of being engorged though so if it hurts I would express a little off the side you're not feeding off.
    Mum of 4. DS1 Dec 05, DD1 Feb 07, DS2 Apr 08, DD2 Feb 12
    Currently and premature DD2 after for 6 months while DD2 was tube fed. Successfully re-lactated!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Sound likes she is done. So just nurse on the side she didn't finish the NEXT time she eats. If her pattern is like that consistently your milk will begin to match her need.
    Don't try to change her nursing duration. She knows when she's done. How old is she? I'm thinking you wait around 3 weeks, and if you still are having oversupply symptoms you start thinking about trying to manage it...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

That sounds like a contented baby. Nothing here sounds like a problem except feeling so engorged. Go ahead and hand express as needed, there is no problem with that that I know of? Don't worry about spit ups or poop color. These are not things that typically need to be worried about as long as newborn baby is gaining well/pooping enough.

She will be 2 weeks tomorrow.

The one side was ok overnight & no green poop today as of now. She sleeps for 3.5 or 4 hours at a time, and that trend continued.
    I'm Rebecca; the local fish out of water in small town Alabama
    DS Duglen born Jan 2011 & breastfed for 16 months - never tasted formula
    DD Debra born Dec 2012; my NATURAL girl & boob lover

Wow so tiny! Congratulations. You probably know this but with a baby that young, you want to (typically) be nursing baby about 10 or more times per 24 hour day. 8 at the very least.

My baby girl who is now 5 months old also slept longer than average in those early weeks, gained great, and I ended up really engorged and even with a plug and mastitis. ugh! So sometimes even with good gainers increasing nursing session frequency may be something to consider.