Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Suddenly not gaining weight

Default Suddenly not gaining weight

I have an 11 week old who I've ebf since 3 weeks old. Because of issues in the beginning (lost 10% of weight in first day) I bought a scale to put my mind at ease. On his 2 month visit weight gain was great but since then it has stalled. He was 10lbs 9oz at 9 weeks and is now 11lbs 2oz. He was gaining an ounce a day until a week and a half ago. The strange part is at the same time he started to slow weight gain he also went from pooping every 4 days to pooping multiple times a day. I feel that is connected. He also has a cold and cough but has been nursing well. His wet diapers are the same he is just pooping alot more and not gaining. I really dint want to have to supplement himif I can fix this.

Other things that might be helpful to know is he is on zantac for silent reflux starting right after his check up and he had very painful belly ache after his rotovirus vaccine. Anyone have any ideas of what could be happening?

Default Re: Suddenly not gaining weight

i dont think that is not enough weight gain in two weeks. that seems fine to me. what color are his poops when he has multiple poops per day? if they are consistently green and mucusy, frequent, could be dairy intolerance. if they are just green and frothy, he could be getting too much foremilk not enough hindmilk [the fattier milk].

but i honestly dont see an issue with the weight gain.

i'd like to see what others say.

They are yellow and have been a bit slimy/mucusy.

There's a reason why doctors don't weigh/measure babies every day: they know that growth doesn't always proceed in a smooth, constant fashion. There are times when a baby will allocate his calories equally to growing in weight and height, and also times when he will pause in one dimension while spurting up in another. There are also times when weight gain will pause due to illness- that sounds like a possibility with your LO. And another really common circumstance is mismeasurement. Unless you bought a professional quality baby scale, your data could be off. And even with a professional scale, your data can be off if the scale isn't properly calibrated or the baby has been weighed variably in the nude and clothed.

One thing I want to reassure you about is that 10% weight loss in the first 24 hours. That's really unusual- when a baby loses that much weight in such a short time period, it's generally due fan the loss of fluid weight, not actual body weight. Did you by chance have IV fluids during your birth, and if so, how long did you have them?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I did have a great deal of iv fluids for almost 24 before he was born. I was severly dehydrated because I had an infection that caused vomiting and I was induced at 36 weeks. He was in the nicu and they made me give him formula in order to take him home. He was originally in the nicu for strange noises he was making but they kept him for weight. I did find it weird that he had 6 wet diapers the first day and lost so much weight the first day and almost nothing the second but I wanted him home so I let them start supplementing.

Well, I can't say I don't like being right!

Okay, here's what I think happened. You had a lot of IV fluids to rehydrate you and then probably some more because you were induced. But you're not the only one who got fluids: your baby got them, too. So he was born with a lot of water weight on board, making his birth weight artificially high. In your baby's first 24 hours his kidneys did what they were supposed to do and pushed all that excess fluid out as pee- and that's what caused his weight loss to look so dramatic. The formula was probably absolutely unnecessary. It just required the NICU staff to actually think about whether or not a 10% drop in weight was normal or not in a baby whose mom was on tons of fluids- and a lot of times people prefer to play it safe and follow protocols instead of thinking! And that's what makes me mad, on your behalf!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"