Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: tonic water "no-no"?

Default tonic water "no-no"?

i like a G & T from time to time, when i know i'm off the hook from nursing for the night.
    i know tonic water was a big NO during pregnancy, but i just read online somewhere that it is a no-no for nursing mommies, too. anyone know anything about this?

Default Re: tonic water "no-no"?

You might want to call the folks at InfantRisk on Monday and ask them. Monday-Friday 8am-5pm central time, (806)-352-2519.http://www.infantrisk.com/

I've never heard this before (either for pregnant women or nursing). I don't really drink it but I wondered why they say not to?
    Mum of 4. DS1 Dec 05, DD1 Feb 07, DS2 Apr 08, DD2 Feb 12
    Currently and premature DD2 after for 6 months while DD2 was tube fed. Successfully re-lactated!

I haven't heard of it either, but I'm guessing it's the quinine?

It's the quinine. It looks like the real issue is dosage. The amount in commercial brands of tonic water is low, and probably very unlikely to cause problems unless you drink nothing but tonic water. But there are studies studies suggesting teratogenic effects on the fetuses of pregnant women who are taking therapeutic doses of quinine for treatment of malaria, and studies showing that quinine is excreted into breast milk.

This one was interesting: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1400988/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I don't really worry about it. If I were drinking it daily, I might, but I don't typically drink it more often than once in a blue moon.

The only time I drink it daily is in very small doses after getting unwittingly exposed to gluten. I have celiac disease and the quinine is an antispasmodic, so it's a comfort measure when the gut distress hits. Again, the amount in tonic water is pretty low--much lower than doses given with quinine therapy for malaria. I wouldn't worry at all about having a gin and tonic while out, but that's my comfort zone.
    Mum to DS (04/07)
    EPing for former 28 weeker (03/12)

thanks, i appreciate the input everyone!
    i was thinking one every so often might be ok, but want to be sure i'm not acting too lax about it!
    really and truly, tonic water tastes better to me than soda or juice, so i like to sip one plain once a month.
    not to mention the g&t every once in a while. -again, when i'm off the hook for several hours!!!
    thanks again, all.