Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: eating alot

Default eating alot

My Ds is all most 11 months old. I was wondering if anyone ever had a child who seemed like a bottomless pit when it comes to eating. My son wants to eat all the time. I bf on demand and he eats meals with the family as well. He likes BF before and after meals as well as before and after naps not to say a couple times though out the night about 5 mins on each breast. If anyone has food on there plate he will have a fit wanting to have some of there meal even after cleaning his plate. I worry about him over eating at times because he will eat as much as my 8 year old daughter and still want more. I am torn in should I feed him until he feels it is enough or just draw a line my self of what I feel is enough. Like tonight he had as much if not more than my daughter because one he was done with his bowl he had some of mine. My sons eating has even started fights between my husband and I because he feels I should just give up bfing all together and do formula since all his friends have. He also says im going to make our son over weight if I keep feeding him like I do. Our son is only 19.5 pounds at all most 11 months so I don't know why he thinks he feels like that. I am just so torn at what to do. I have made it clear that I will not stop BFing any time soon unless our son one day wakes up and doesn't want to.

Default Re: eating alot

That sounds like a funny scene at the dinner table.

Obviously there's no reason for you to give up breastfeeding and offer formula at this point. You can remind your DH that it's formula-fed babies who are at a higher risk for obesity, not the breastfed ones. My kids pediatrician made an excellent guess as to why formula-fed babies tend to pack on the pounds; she said it happens "because formula babies can walk around with a bottle hanging out of their mouth all day".

My kids were the opposite of yours: they would turn up their noses at solids until well into their second year. But babies are all over the map when it comes to solids- I have known plenty of enthusiastic eaters! And it makes sense that a not yet 1 year-old can eat as much as a much older child because the 1 year-old is growing much, much faster than the older child. Food intake tends to decline in the second year, as growth slows down. Think about it: in a baby's first year he might gain as much as 20 lbs. In his second year, he might gain only 10.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Oh I have told him formula-fed babys are at higher risk for obesity his response is My sisters son is formula feed and he is skinny as hell so is my friends son Coby..... I have also tried to point out why both kids have been formula feed that both mothers didn't make it as a first choice. His sister works full time goes to school full time she does pump but is starting to have to fill in with bottles and due to health issues she might have to stop all together. His friends son was born with a cleft lip and pallet the Drs. didn't really give his mom a choice. I have tried to show him studies I have tried explain to him everything he just will not hear it. As far as formula fed babys walking around with a bottle hanging out of his mouth all day well I truly think my son would walk around with my breast in his mouth at all times if he could find away. Heck one day my mom gave him a small cookie and he got up in my lap pulled my shirt off would take a bit of cookie than have a little milk. So now the family all ways jokes when he has eating that he might like a little milk with that. Its funny how some kids are not in to solids and others are. I guess just worried about feeding him to much since he will nurse before and after he eats and acts like he never gets enough food. He has been slow at gaining his DR would like to see him put on more weight but I feel he eats a ton he is very active hes been crawling since 3 months he has been holding on to walk since he was 5 months and the last 2 months he has been working on the walking with out holding on but he never sits still even when nurse he is wiggling up a storm. I guess I just worry I am doing the wrong thing when it comes to cutting off his food but also worry about it being wrong to let him keep eating since he eats ALOT of food.

If your DH tells you "My sister's son is formula feed and he is skinny as hell so is my friends son Coby....." then the proper response is "Those are anecdotes, not data. The scientific evidence shows that breastfed babies have a lower lifetime risk of obesity. If you can find some SCIENTIFIC evidence to the contrary, you let me know!"

When a husband or male partner is so dead-set against breastfeeding an older baby, I have to wonder if the "reasons" that the guy is trotting out to make the case against breastfeeding are hiding his true agenda. Saying "I'm scared breastfeeding will make our kid fat" might be code for "I wish you would stop nursing so that your breasts would belong to ME again" or "I am uncomfortable seeing an older baby nurse" or "I am worried that our son is going to turn into a sissy if you nurse him any longer", or "I need more attention but the baby is getting it all." I'm not saying that this is necessarily the case with your husband... Just that it might be worth a discussion.

It sounds like you have a super-active and quite slender child- my girls were very active and they were around 25-28 lbs at 1 year, if I remember correctly- so I don't think I would worry about your LO's solid food intake. As long as you're nursing him first, and he's nursing at least 6-8 times a day, I think you can rest assured that he's getting his breastmilk needs met, and the solids are just necessary dueto his very high activity level.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I think a lot of his views are due to the influence of others and a little jealousy. His friends feel it is odd that I still breastfeed our all most 11 month old and my husband is well young and still seeking the approval of others. He also is slightly jealous of the bond our son and I have. He missed the first 8 months of our sons life due to being in the army.So when he I go to nurse he will come in and start wanting to hold our sons hand and kiss his head. He feels so rejected since our son all ways is wanting me over him. He is proud of our son though since our son gets so excited over boobs so I doubt he fears that its going to make our son a sissy. He has voiced that he feels that me not letting our son cry it out will make him a sissy. We just don't see eye to eye on a lot of things but I am 7 years older this is my 2end child so I am a little more laid back and have learned a lot from my first time. Well he is new to parent hood is still wanting to go by the book and what everyone eles is doing. I do try to be understanding to his views and feelings but I just wish they really were his not what other people tell him he should be doing . As far as how much my son breast feeds oh 6 to 8 times means he is sick hahaha he in the day time nurses every hour or so and at night its every 2 hours I just go along with what ever he wants when it comes to nursing. Its less stressful on me and him than trying to watch a clock and time everything.

Don't you love being a second-time mom!?! I was so much more relaxed with my second baby. If she ate every 5 minutes around the clock, I was like "whatever, it'll pass, so I'm going to roll with it."

Is your DH a reader? Would he be influenced by the right reading material?

Oh I love being a second-time mom I am so relaxed compared I also feel more sure of my self I am not all ways questioning everything most of all when others comment on how they would do something different. I have tried to get him to read all the information on cry it out and bfing he just doesn't care to read it. I just given up on trying to get him to think out side the box when it comes to what his friends feel as normal. I am hoping if we have another he will be more relaxed and have more of his own views since this is his first child. If not we will do this dance all over of me standing my ground that I will BF as often and as long as our child feels is right. I know with my first I did give in to pressure to formula feed from Dr.'s but this time I have found my back bone in standing my ground in what I know and feel is the best choice for my kids.

My baby is really enthusiastic about eating, just like your son, it sounds like. Yes, mine also eats all the time, even at night, and is the same at mealtimes. Good that you are sticking with what you know is best for him.