Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Excessive gas?

Default Excessive gas?

DD2 is a little over 2 months old seems to have a problem with excessive gas(stinky toots) and only pooping about every 3 days. I have oversupply and block feed. She almost never takes both sides.

Would this be a result of hindmilk/foremilk imbalance or something in my diet?
    Trying to keep up with a busy 3.5 year old Morgan Alexis born 11/5/09 at 6 lbs 5 oz and proud retired 1 year EP'er!

Nursing our new addition Jordan Catherine born 10/21/12 at 7 lbs 14 oz.

Total donated milk so far - 1,368 ounces!

Default Re: Excessive gas?

If you know you have oversupply, then that's almost surely the cause of the gassiness.

Pooping every 3 days is totally normal at this point. After 6 weeks, a breastfed baby may go as much as a week between poops, and sometimes over a week. When babies poop infrequently, their toots tend to be really stinky, because they're moving past fecal matter that's being digested for longer time periods and isn't smelling quite so fresh.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks! I have oversupply (400 oz. in the freezer) on one side only which is the side I nurse from most of the time, especially at night. I get the feeling that she is uncomfortable with the gas and would feel better if I could make it go away. Her poops are still yellow when they happen. Should I be nursing more from my weak side so she gets more hindmilk? I go back to work in two weeks which should help with the problem as she will be getting mixed bottles.
    Trying to keep up with a busy 3.5 year old Morgan Alexis born 11/5/09 at 6 lbs 5 oz and proud retired 1 year EP'er!

Are you getting lopsided?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I'm not really lopsided looking. I know from EPing DD1 that my left naturally produces about 1/2 of my right, and this time it's producing about 3-4x more. So as long as I nurse mostly on my superproducer right they stay the same size. I'm afraid if I nurse more on my weak left side then the right will become uncomfortable.

Okay, as long as you are okay with the current situation I wouldn't worry too much about it. I mean, if you used the underproducing side a little more, that might make your LO a little less gassy because the lower producing breast probably would give her less lactose-rich milk. And assuming that the underproducing side is also the smaller side, you might be able to even out the visual lopsidedness by using that breast more. But I see all of this as fairly minor- it sounds like you're doing really well over all!