Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: coughing after feeds

Default coughing after feeds

I have a 4wk old baby who is being breasted our problem is that after 90% of her feeds she will cough and then projectile vomit sometimes she will cough that much she panics and stops breathing this is making me not want to feed her as after I'm scared its because of my milk, I have a strong let down and a big supply of milk which I think is the cause as I don't think she can cope with it I have tried expressing a bit off before she feeds but this doesn't seem to help. any ideas on how I can help her stop coughing so she doesnt panic?? hope this makes some sense.

Default Re: coughing after feeds

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

The first thing I have to ask is whether or not the spit-up is literally projectile. If it is LITERALLY flying across the room, hard and fast enough that it's hitting the opposite wall, try to get it on video and talk to your doc. However, I suspect that what you're seeing is merely forceful spit-up. Forceful spit-ups are normal, provided that the baby is gaining weight at a normal rate.

So let's assume that the spit-up is only forceful, not prejectile, and baby is gaining weight at a normal rate. What then? In general, spit-up that occurs with good weight gain and without pain is a laundry issue, not a health issue. It is often caused by mom having a big milk supply and consequently, fast letdowns. Babies who struggle with fast letdowns will often choke, gasp, gag, and sometimes stop breathing for a moment.

To manage fast letdowns caused by oversupply, the best things to do are:
    1. Feed the baby frequently. Small, frequent feedings may be less upsetting to the baby and should prevent you from getting overly full- and the more full the breast, the faster the letdowns.
    2. Adopt reclined feeding positions. They enlist gravity to slow the flow of milk.
    3. Keep baby as upright as possible after nursing. This time you're using gravity to help keep baby's stomach contents down where they belong.
    4. Manage the oversupply. If you can tell us a but more about the level of oversupply you're seeing, we may be able to suggest specific steps to take. But the first one you should take, if you aren't already, is to avoid any milk removal in addition to what the baby is doing. So no pumping!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks for the reply,I'm catching bout 1-2oz most feeds from the side she's feeding from this is after she has latched and sucked a couple of times and come off because she's coughing, I am also leaking from the other breast no idea how much as I just apply pressure to the nipple to stop the flow.
    should I try to offer both breasts at every feed??

Are you pumping out that additional 1-2 oz, or is it just spraying out when baby unlatches?

If you're getting 1-2 oz of spray, leaking uncontrollably, and baby is choking/coughing/pulling off due to a strong letdown, then I think it may be time to try single-sided feedings. 1-sided feedings help control supply by leaving milk in the unused breast, which cues reduction in supply. But don't be afraid to offer the second breast if baby seems hungry after finishing the first!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I'm not pumping it , its just the spray when she unlatches ill try one sided feeding see if this helps, thank you x

Let us know how it goes! And don't be too surprised if you eventually have to transition to offering both breasts at a feeding. I had a mammoth oversupply with my second kid, and had to block feed for a few months, but by around 3-6 months she suddenly transitioned from being over-full from just one breast to needing both breasts in order to get a full meal.