Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting solids with a weight slowdown?

Default Starting solids with a weight slowdown?

My daughter had her 6 month check up today and I'm a bit confused about how to proceed with solids. First of all, she had a slowdown in weight gain (which I know can be normal). Her weight on November 23 was 13lbs, 10oz (which was in the 50th percentile on the formula charts, I think) and she was 15lbs even today (which I was told was the 30th percentile on those charts). Her ped was unconcerned, saying he often sees EBF babies drop down after 4 months. Why he isn't using the WHO charts, I don't know...

He gave me confusing advise about starting solids. First said the extra calories would be good for her...then said that no solids have the nutrient or calorie punch of breastmilk. I knew that was the case, so had kind of disregarded his first statement already.

Anyway, from here would it be a good idea to go forward with introducing her to solids or should I put that off because of her weight gain dropping. I know it's normal, though, so maybe that doesn't matter? If she does happen to love solids, I wouldn't want her to continue dropping because her breastmilk intake drops? Or would I just be very limited with how often she can have them?

Feeling confused and overwhelmed. Is it bad to just wait longer? Maybe I'm not ready. Although, I do think she could be ready - she is super interested during mealtimes, is sitting alone, brings everything to her mouth, etc.

Thanks in advance!!

Default Re: Starting solids with a weight slowdown?

Don't overthink things, mama. If you and baby are ready to start, go ahead and start. Just make sure you nurse before offering solids so you know she's filling up on the good stuff. Anything above and beyond that is just extra (that's probably what your doc meant). In the beginning most babies hardly eat any actual solids anyway. Like with nursing, follow her lead and let her self-regulate. You'll be fine and so will she.

Signs of readiness for solids (from kellymom):

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:

• Baby can sit up well without support.
    • Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    • Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    • Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    • Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.

“We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Hi mama, I don't see any reason not to start solids now. As you yourself know, it's normal for weight gain to slow down for breastfed babies at the six-month mark. She's still gaining. And the pediatrician is not concerned. At this point, it's unlikely that LO will feed herself enough food to get any substantial amount of calories, especially if you nurse her before offering solids. The point is just to get her used to the new tastes and textures of solid foods and to let her develop the motor skills she needs to self-feed. She'll still be getting all the nutrition she needs from breastmilk. At this early stage it's fine to offer her solids once per day or even every few days.

Don't over think it and don't worry. Both my kids had roughly equivalent percentile drops in the 4-6 month window, and my pediatrician wasn't concerned, either. Give her some solids, And remember that at this stage they are not necessary for nutrition. They're for fun with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. So if baby eats some, great. If she tastes some and then spits them out, still great. And if she won't even open her mouth and taste, and prefers to explore the solids with her hands, still great: the learning experience is still taking place.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks all! I do tend to over analyze, so I appreciate the reminder to keep it simple and not worry! I'm reading up on baby-led solids and may offer her something this weekend...

My anxiety is working overtime about her weight gain the past two months. The doc wasn't worried, but I just wonder if less than 1.5 lbs (over 9 weeks) weight gain is enough from 4 to 6 months? Seems like Kellymom says 1-2 lbs per month is normal during those months. She eats about 10 times per day, sometimes very short snacky-type nursings. I usually hear lots of swallowing and can feel usually a couple of letdowns during each nursing. I wonder why she didn't gain more?

I don't know if this helps relieve your anxiety at all, but my second child was 75% at 4 months, dropped down at 6 months (can't remember the exact number, I think it was 40%), and at age 2 was 25%. She eats well, she's healthy and happy and developing normally. She's just not meant to be a 75% baby! Not every baby gains at the same pace all the time. Your baby may have gained more in the beginning, now she's slowing down a bit - maybe she'll continue on a new, smaller curve, maybe she'll pick up the pace again, or maybe she'll be like my baby and slow down even more. I think it's really hard to say from a single weight check. 10 times per day is right on target for the number of feedings in 24 hours. Is she making 5-6 wets per day? Is she meeting her milestones?

Sometimes I think everybody moms (and I put myself in that) doctors-that everyone puts to much emphasis on weight gain. I think that why the baby needs to be weighed at every doctors is so that if there is an issue with the weight gain, either way to much or way too little, then baby can be examined with that in mind. But not so that weight gain alone is used to determine the entire health picture.
    I think it's especially difficult to determine why a weight gain was slower than average over a long period of time. Because what could've happened in those nine weeks? Was baby ever ill or was there ever a time you were particularly busy or baby was particularly fussy and not nursing as much etc. etc. we don't really know just from the scales whether or is a continuous slow down or if it was a big dip at one point and then things got normal etc. we just don't know just from the scales , you would have to look more at your baby history' to see if there are any clues. And there may not be.
    I suggest it does not really matter if you start solids now or not. If baby shows signs of being ready then fine you know how to do it without interfering with milk intake or production which is the potential problem. If baby is not showing the signs of readiness then not starting is probably fine too. I think that may be what your pediatrician was getting at. I don't think it ever hurts to try to increase nursing sessions when ever there is a concern about weight so that would be my only other suggestion.

Thanks for your replies. Yes, she's meeting all milestones and is a happy, content baby. She has 5-6 wets (although some aren't super wet) and almost always 1-2 good sized poopy diapers per day.

Meg, I wish I could up her feedings, but I'm totally maxing her out as it is. She's a very undemanding nurser and would probably only nurse 6-7 times if I only fed her on her cues. So I offer more and sneak in an extra one whenever I can. She just really seems to have a small appetite. And she's very vocal when she doesn't want to eat. So, anyway, increasing feedings really isn't possible...

I offered her some sweet potato tonight and she gagged a little and ended up throwing up the milk she'd just taken in. Not quite the rousing success I was hoping for...

Aww, that brought back memories of my now six year old, otherwise known as the infamous Gag It Up Kid. When they are not ready, they are not ready!

You could try different textures etc. but personally I'd table it for at least a week.

Sneaking in an extra session when you can as you are doing makes a big difference in milk intake, overall. So it's worth it!