Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: mother's milk tummy troubles

Default mother's milk tummy troubles

Hello. I was a little congested and enjoy tea, and read that mother's milk tea is recommended (also read somewhere peppermint tea is not good for bf, anyone hear of that, either?). Anyway, I have a sensitive tummy sometimes. After just a couple days of one cup of mother's milk tea, always with a snack of some cookies or buttered toast, I got a very upset stomach & was running to the bathroom a lot. A few days without the tea, and lots of chicken soup later, I'm feeling much better, but unsure if I had caught a bug that was going around or if it was in fact from the tea. Anyone else ever have side effects of stomach problems from it, or know how to enjoy the mother's milk w/o running to the bathroom after? Thanks.

Default Re: mother's milk tummy troubles

I have never consumed mother's milk tea, but if it contains fenugreek it is possible that it was the source of your upset stomach. My IBCLC had advised that taking fenugreek for supply could cause stomach issues for me and/or baby.

I think there's no way to tell if the tea and your tummy trouble were connected without trying the tea again. If you enjoyed the tea, or felt like you needed it for your supply, it might be worth trying again. If not, why bother?

Peppermint and sage are herbs which are generally recommended against during breastfeeding, because they can reduce supply when taken in sufficient quantities. A single cup of peppermint tea is unlikely to do anything bad to your supply unless you're already really struggling.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Mommal, just coming back to update. I did enjoy the tea, as I love tea in general. So I enjoyed a cup of it again yesterday & the day before, with no tummy issues this time. It must have been something else. Mother's milk tea says on the box drink 3-5 cups a day, but I will only have one cup a day, enough for me. Thanks for giving me the encouragement to go ahead and try it again.