Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: should i just deal with it for a few more months?

Default Re: should i just deal with it for a few more months?

so i guess i just gotta relax. not easy!

You're doing great!

The other posters are doing great coaching you on this. I don't have any further advice - I just wanted to wish you well. I just read your original post (I've been off the boards for a bit!) and wanted to address your feelings about those babies happily nursing away at the mall. Please don't let yourself get down about this. I fall into this easily as well - my babies are fussy nursers for whatever reason - I just can't imagine having a baby (past the newborn stage, at least) who will just be hungry and simply nurse like "normal." Mine just don't do it! I'd love it if they did, and I'm awed at babies who just nurse with little to no drama. I don't get it - but all babies are different and you've just got to focus on your baby and know that your nursing relationship with your baby IS normal, because it's normal for you and her. It's just the way it is. In fact, if you look around the boards and read some older posts, you'll find a wide variety of nursing "normals." Hang in there - you're really persistent and it will pay off!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*worknpump View Post
    The other posters are doing great coaching you on this. I don't have any further advice - I just wanted to wish you well. I just read your original post (I've been off the boards for a bit!) and wanted to address your feelings about those babies happily nursing away at the mall. Please don't let yourself get down about this. I fall into this easily as well - my babies are fussy nursers for whatever reason - I just can't imagine having a baby (past the newborn stage, at least) who will just be hungry and simply nurse like "normal." Mine just don't do it! I'd love it if they did, and I'm awed at babies who just nurse with little to no drama. I don't get it - but all babies are different and you've just got to focus on your baby and know that your nursing relationship with your baby IS normal, because it's normal for you and her. It's just the way it is. In fact, if you look around the boards and read some older posts, you'll find a wide variety of nursing "normals." Hang in there - you're really persistent and it will pay off!
    thank you! i need reminded of that often, that "ideal" isn't the same as "typical". my husband swears my standards are set too high of myself to be "normal", which to me, is "ideal"...

just to update everyone, juniper is doing GREAT. since getting my supply under control, we are nursing closer to every 3-5 hours instead of every 4-6 hours, and she is still most often satisfied throughout the night without waking. i have even been able to sneak "lunch" of a puree into our routine after her morning nap, making it 2 meals per day, plus the additional nursing.
    i think my shooting milk straight into her stomach at MY demand gave her a sour stomach that didn't feel hungry. i think she always felt full because she was getting such big, forced meals.
    she still doesn't approach me to nurse or give any hunger signals unless she is really sleepy, so her additional "snack" of the morning puree right after her nap is a wonderful tool to keep her satisfied until she is ready to nurse again before her pm nap, when she WILL want to nurse, without being too ravenous to nurse well.
    forcing my oversupply onto her just wasn't something that felt good to her, so she didn't comfort nurse much. now she comfort nurses after she has gotten her milk before bedtime, she just lingers in her sleep. it is nice to know i can provide her this comfort without her being afraid of the boob again.
    she was at the point where she would put her little hands in front of her mouth so i wouldn't force more on her. what a horrible feeling, to know little baby didn't trust me. she trusts me now.
    thank you, everyone, for helping me ENJOY this process! i am feeling so much more at peace with it, and much more laid back.

That is really wonderful! Thanks for the update.