Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeling the need to wean (10 months)

Default Re: Feeling the need to wean (10 months)

Can you pump once she goes down for the night instead? That was she may 'fill up' a bit more when she cluster feeds before bed? That way you'll have a bit of milk for the day time for her and you won't lose any time with her when you're home after work? I used a pump that you can 'strap on' and walk around with and I must say it was a life saver. Looked a bit funny with it on so I wouldn't answer the door wearing it, but it saves a lot of time and eases restrictions!
    Mum of 4. DS1 Dec 05, DD1 Feb 07, DS2 Apr 08, DD2 Feb 12
    Currently and premature DD2 after for 6 months while DD2 was tube fed. Successfully re-lactated!

My daughter is 10.5 months. She's up constantly these days - rather, nights. However I have the knowledge of my 2 older daughters to help guide me.

I haven't reached this yet, but you can do what I did with DD2:
    Put a mattress on the floor with bed rails in a spare room / the nursery, etc. Nurse her down and sneak out when she falls asleep. Have a sound machine to help mask your get away (have it playing while you nurse). Put a monitor in the room as well so you can hear her when she wakes.

Even if it only gives you 2 hours on your own to sleep / read / relax - it will really help to rejuvenate you. You can continue to do the same through the night or just stay with her.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

That's a good idea - I never thought of that. Thanks!

The only thing I'm nervous about is her being that close to the ground, because once in a while we find scorpions here :O I live in Arizona, and have to be careful with that :O

GAH! Yeah, that would freak me out too. I have no idea about scorpions. I live in Ontario.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wendy300 View Post
    Also, stop the pumping which would mean no more 4 ounces of BM while I'm at work. Since she'd still be getting 3-5 nursings at other times, would this be okay, and just a little water if she's thirsty with solids??
    This seems a bit low for a 10 month old baby. Let's say she gets about 2-4 oz at the breast... Plus the 4 oz bottle... That would mean she'd be getting somewhere between 10 and 24 oz of milk per day. 24 oz would be fine. 10 would be low, considering that breastmilk is supposed to make up the majority of a child's nutritional intake until she's a year old, and most kids need about 8 feedings a day to get to a place where breastmilk makes up most of their calories. Maybe 5-8 feedings when they're closing in on a year. If you can't see your way to pumping more, would you consider offering some formula at daycare? I'm not a huge fan of formula, but until a year I feel that it's important to supplement with that in preference to solids and water. While formula isn't as perfect as breastmilk, it does provide balanced nutrition- it has pretty much the same proportions of fat/protein/carbohydrates as breast milk- and it's hard to replicate that balance using solids.
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; December 30th, 2012 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Redid the arithmetic... Duhhh...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

What about pumping while driving? 2 and From? And I think that once you hit the year point YES you can give up your nightly pumping session. But not before. In the interim I think slipping away after putting her down is good and then NOT coming back to her until she wakes on her own. Then she won't wake because she smells your milk. Like tonight. Sleep on the couch until she calls you.

Way too lazy for formula