Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weaning and introducing solids

Default weaning and introducing solids

My IBCLC has been invaluable, however she istaking leave from work to finish her win against breast cancer, so I spoke to a non ibc lc.
    My questions were about weaning in a few months. She said as he eats more solids he will nurse less.
    that's fine, but my son was exclusively breastfeeding up until 6 months of age and that was an occasional pureed fruit or veg.
    This lc was telling me that my son, being almost 7 months, should be eating 2-4 oz of pureed fruits or veg or meat 3x a day, but that doesn't sound right. It sounds like a LOT. The most he's eaten recently has been 1-1.5 ounces before deciding he was no longer interested.
    Should he really be eating2-4 oz?
    Just seems like a lot.
    Desmond Ringo Payton [5.31.12|8 lb 14 oz|22 in.|blonde|blue|beautiful|BACK TO BREAST 6.25.12]

Default Re: weaning and introducing solids

My pediatrician would tell you that until 12 months (or thereabouts), breastmilk or formula alone are capable of meeting all a baby's nutritional needs, and solids are for fun with new tastes, textures, and motor skills only. They are not necessary from a nutritional standpoint. So, yes, IMO the quantities of solids the LC thinks your child should be eating are excessive. There's a big difference in education between what you need to call yourself a LC and what you need to achieve in order to get an IBCLC degree, and I think you're seeing an example of that two-tiered system.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

This makes it even more confusing. So if he's 7 months is there a guideline or is the guideline to go with feed him solids until he's no longer interested and then switch to the breast top finish out the meal?
    Desmond Ringo Payton [5.31.12|8 lb 14 oz|22 in.|blonde|blue|beautiful|BACK TO BREAST 6.25.12]

At seven months it's usually recommended to nurse before offering solids, so you know he is filling up on the most nutritious substance. Then offer solids and if he doesn't eat much or isn't interested in eating at all (both of which are perfectly normal for babies that age), you don't have to worry about whether he's eating enough because you know he's getting plenty of breast milk.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Nurse or bottle first, then solids once or twice a day for play. If he eats some, great. If he only tastes but doesn't swallow- still great, at least he's trying something new. And if he won't even open his mouth and prefers to simply explore the solids with his hands- still great, because he's having a fun learning experience.

Remember, your goal is NOT to replace breastmilk in your child's diet. Breastmilk is all he needs at this point, and it's the healthiest, most balanced nutrition he's ever going to eat in his life. Solids should be for fun only, with baby leading the way towards increasing quantities at or after a year. Many babies don't transition to a mostly solid food diet until well into their second year. I think the guidelines your LC gave you are for a mom who is very eager to wean at or before a year, and therefore wants to accelerate the transition to a solids-only diet.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Okay. The non ibc lc I saw said to offer 2 oz solids then nurse.
    Something about the baby not getting enough calories from just nursing after 6 months. And of course, nobody wants to deprive their baby of calories.

Thanks so much! She isn't my regular lc, I've never had her before, so when she said that about exclusively breastfed babies losing weight after 7 months if there's been no solids introduced, I was kind of iffy.

I hope you didn't have to give this lady any money. Her advice and information was 100% wrong. Until a year, it's breast or bottle first, then solids. And babies don't lose weight if they don't get solids- if that were true, my chunky daughters wouldn't have gained an ounce between 7 and 15 months. What does tend to happen in the second half of the first year- and this is true of both breastfed babies who eat solids and those who don't- is that the RATE of weight gain decreases. Instead of gaining an average of 5-7 oz a week, like a newborn, or 4-5 oz like babies in the 4-6 month age range, the average breastfed baby will gain only about 2-4 oz per week between 6 and 12 months. This isn't weight loss, it's just slower weight gain. And the slowed weight gain is not happening because breastmilk "doesn't have enough calories"- it's just a natural aspect of infant growth. Breastfed babies tend to take in the most milk during early infancy, and then keep their intake relatively constant throughout the remainder of their first year. As the first year progresses, the baby becomes more active- and guess what, all that activity (reaching, rolling, crawling, cruising, standing, etc.) burns a ton of calories. So the baby's energy intake remains constant, but his energy output changes. All the calories that used to get packed on as fat go into motion, instead.

The only reason why solids can be important for demand-fed babies after around 4-6 months is iron. Breastmilk contains sufficient iron to support normal growth, but not not an overabundance of iron (which formula does have- it may be one reason why formula-fed babies tend to get constipated). Babies whose moms are anemic, or who have a tendency towards anemia, or who were premature (iron stores are not completed until term) may become anemic after around 4-6 months, when the iron stores accumulated before birth have been used up and before high-iron solids have entered the baby's diet. This is why many pediatricians will do a blood test for iron around 9 months. Most breastfed babies are not anemic, regardless of whether or not they are eating solids- again, breastmilk generally has enough iron- but the ones who are should be given vitamin supplements and their parents should concentrate on feeding them high-iron solids.

On our chart from the pedi, it too says like 3-4 oz 3xs a day for fruits AND veggies, plus a ton of baby cereal AND meat. There is NO way we do all of that, even at 10.5 months. She'll take maybe 2 oz of cottage cheese/fruit and then some cheerios or bread. I would listen to your LO and not the doc, he will let you know when he is full I agree with PP that you should nurse first, then offer solids!