Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP ME! 9 Day Old...Latching wrong... Problems problems

Default HELP ME! 9 Day Old...Latching wrong... Problems problems

Please help me!

I have a 9 day old. The first day in the hospital my baby latched on wrong all day. I had not yet seen the LC. The next day the LC came to see me and showed me how to correctly latch her on. But by this time my nipples were already creased like a pancake, had black scabs and were bleeding. However, she latched on correctly that day. But the second we got home (third day) she would not latch on correcty if she latched on at all. She got very fussy, throwing her arms and her legs around. So bottom line, I had to supplement with formula so she could get enough. Eventually I could not breastfeed at all because my nipples were hamburger meat with pieces of skin hanging off. So I was pumping and giving her formula. It KILLED me to do this. I broke down several times in tears because I could not breastfeed my baby. Now my nipples are healed, So we went to see the LC at my pediatricians office today and my baby latched on correctly (without help from LC) and fed for 15 minutes on each side. But AGAIN, once we got home, she started to latch wrong and my nipples are becoming pancaked again...and slightly painful when she feeds.
    Do you think she just needs to get more areola in her mouth? I make sure her lips are flanged and I point my nipple towards the roof of her mouth.... I am just so overwhelmed. I dont want my nipples to get trashed again. Thanks

Default Re: HELP ME! 9 Day Old...Latching wrong... Problems problems

I am not the most experienced and I'm sure some of the other veteran BFers will chime in with more specific advice on latching techniques. But I just want to offer support and give you kuddos for seeking out the LC (twice!) and sticking with it, pumping for your baby, and continuing to work on breastfeeding. Lots of mamas on these forums have worked through tough challenges like this and gone on to breastfeed successfully, so keep hope!

I will say that I think it takes newborns a while to master the correct latch and do it consistently. With mine, for the few first weeks, it seemed like at least once (or more) every feed, I had to pop him off and latch him again (either because he didn't latch correctly to begin with, or he would slide back partway through the feed). I would pay really close attention, and as soon as it started to feel wrong/painful or his latch looked less than ideal, I'd slide in a pinky and break the suction, and relatch him. I hope the rest of the responses give you the specifics that you need. Good luck mama.

Default Re: HELP ME! 9 Day Old...Latching wrong... Problems problems

Was the LC at the peds officer helpful? Did she show you how to help your baby get a good latch?

If your baby is able to latch correctly once, baby can do it again.
    (correctly just means, with no pain or injury to mom and baby is getting milk. How it feels is much more important than how it looks.)

I would suggest

1)see LC again, or see another, and/or contact your local LLL Leader(s)
    2)Keep bringing baby to the breast and nursing as much as you can. Babies learn to breastfeed by breastfeeding. Moms learn to latch baby with practice. And it is very exhausting to pump and hard to maintain good milk production if pumping and supplementing rather than nursing. This is NOT to say there is anything wrong with your choice to pump and bottle feed while you healed, certainly sometimes that is helpful or needed. Certainly if you find yourself needing to pump again, it would be good to use a hospital grade pump if you are not already. And if baby is not nursing at all, pumping should be 10 times a day.
    3) Don't time nursing sessions or insist baby take both sides per feeding. Nurse very frequently-at least 10-12 times a day, on cue, as long as baby is cueing at least that much! If baby is not cueing at least 10 times a day, you still need to make sure baby nurses at least that often.
    4) try different positions and latch techniques until you find what works for you and your baby.
    5) nurse at the earliest cue or even prior to a cue. A calm baby has more patience to work on latch than a hungry frantic baby.

Many moms here have experienced very severe nipple trauma in the early days due to a poor latch, myself included. It is a fairly common problem but one that is usually very, very fixable, I promise you.

Here are some latch and positioning tips I like:

http://cwgenna.com/quickhelp.html (see the 'latch help'

http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf

http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html

http://www.llli.org/faq/positioning.html

has anyone showed you the 'breast sandwich?" It’s hard to describe but I will try-Hold your breast firmly in your cupped hand, thumb on one side, (or on top) four fingers on the other (or below- Exactly how you place your hand depends on which direction baby is coming to the breast. Have baby's nose/top lip basically in line with your thumb.) Make sure you have your hand far enough back on your breast that your fingers or thumb won’t get in baby's way. Compress the breast so as to give baby a big 'bite' of the breast. This can help baby get more of the breast in for a deeper latch.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; December 27th, 2012 at 09:59 PM.