Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis? Time to wean? IDK!

Default Mastitis? Time to wean? IDK!

I haven't posted in a long time because things have been mostly smooth going for a while. But now I think I may have or am getting Mastitis. I don't know what it feels like but I'm hurting pretty bad. My breast hurt, slightly red around my nipples, sore nipples, some engorgement, hurts to nurse, slight fever feeling in my breast, DD doesn't seem to want to nurse long and is even not wanting to stay latched on. Is she trying to wean herself? LO is 7mo and almost 2wks. I also started taking Fenugreek because I have always felt like she wasn't getting enough milk from me. Do you think it's time to wean? I also started pumping yesterday because it hurt to nurse and because I was going to try her on bottles a few times a day.
    I didn't succeed with Breastfeeding with my first two children I'M NOT GIVING UP THIS TIME! I PROMISED MY DAUGHTER!

Default Re: Mastitis? Time to wean? IDK!

Definitely NOT time to wean. If you feel like you might be coming down with mastitis, that is the absolute worst time to wean because you need to remove as much milk from the breast as possible, and do it as often as possible, to beat the infection. Stopping nursing means you'd be leaving all your milk sitting in the breast, and you'd be likely to get engorged, and then the infection could really take hold...

Second reason not to wean is that your baby is still very young. One year is the minimum recommended duration of nursing, and your baby still really needs your milk to get her through that first year of rapid physical, mental, and immunological development.

Here's what you should do. First, stay alert for signs of mastitis: fever, aches and pains, flu-like feelings, red streaks/patches on the exterior of the breast, discharge of pus from the breast. If you see any of those, call the doctor immediately. Second, I suggest calling the doctor today even if you don't see those symptoms, because what you describe sounds like it may be early mastitis, and you want to be sure you can get medical help even over the weekend. Third, empty that breast as much as possible. Have your baby nurse off that breast first, and if you have a pump, pump after feedings, particularly if the baby is reluctant to nurse on that side. (Babies often dislike mastitis milk because it tastes salty and sometimes slightly icky- but it is fine for baby to drink it!) Fourth, stop the fenugreek. You don't necessarily want to be boosting your supply right now, if your baby isn't emptying the breast well anyway. You want her to drain the breast thoroughly every time, and that will be more likely to happen if the breast isn't burstingly full. Fifth, do lots of warm water soaks and breast massage to help clear the breast out, and stay hydrated and get plenty of rest.

I'm really sorry you're not feeling well! But you can beat this. Let us know how it goes!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

NOT time to wean. Baby NOT trying to wean. Better plan would be for both of you to go to the doctor. You having mastitus wouldn't cause her to nurse less. But an ear infection might. And if you have it, you need antibiotics. But what are "feverish breasts?"

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    NOT time to wean. Baby NOT trying to wean. Better plan would be for both of you to go to the doctor. You having mastitus wouldn't cause her to nurse less. But an ear infection might. And if you have it, you need antibiotics. But what are "feverish breasts?"
    they feel hot and engorged
    I didn't succeed with Breastfeeding with my first two children I'M NOT GIVING UP THIS TIME! I PROMISED MY DAUGHTER!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    and WOW! your pretty good! DD is on antibiotics right now for an ear infection in both ears.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nikkimarie View Post
    and WOW! your pretty good! DD is on antibiotics right now for an ear infection in both ears.
    Aha! An ear infection would explain everything. Baby's ears hurt from the infection, and her tummy hurts (maybe) from the antibiotics, so she nurses less. Baby nurses less, removing less milk, so you get engorged and mastitis starts to set in.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Aha! An ear infection would explain everything. Baby's ears hurt from the infection, and her tummy hurts (maybe) from the antibiotics, so she nurses less. Baby nurses less, removing less milk, so you get engorged and mastitis starts to set in.
    got us both appointments tomorrow! but i actually am feeling better.