Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first clogged duct?

Default Re: My first clogged duct?

My supply has already dropped on that side, and at first I was scared, but now it's kind of nice! DD still has plenty of dirty diapers and she rarely ever has to let go at letdown now. It's awesome.

Here's the scoop on my situation. My flu-like symptoms went away on Monday (the day they started) but I went to the doctor anyways, just to be safe. I don't know if the symptoms were just short-lived, or possibly due to something else altogether (I've been having lots of sinus trouble.)

Now, today, the spot is slightly less tender and much less hard. I've been massaging constantly. And I don't feel sick at all. This description from the PP is much more suitable to my case:

"A plugged duct:
    *comes on gradually
    *may shift in location
    *the mother feels little or no warmth in the area
    *the pain is mild and localized
    *the mother feels generally well
    *her temp is lower than 101 degrees"

Another thing that disappointed me greatly about my doctor's visit is that the antibiotics he prescribed me are Erythromycin, and the info I read on it states that "it does appear in breastmilk and if it is necessary for your health, your doctor may tell you to stop breastfeeding while you are taking them." Aren't there any antibiotics that are safer for nursing babies??

So, if my infectious symptoms went away so quickly, does it seem safe to NOT take the antibiotics he gave me? If my symptoms never return, does it seem safe to at least wait until I see my OB/GYN on Monday, and ask his opinion first? I don't want to take something that could cause so much trouble if I don't need to.

Does going to MIL's for Thanksgiving count as not resting adequately?

And one more question... How long can a plug stay in there?

Thanks so much for all your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    Another thing that disappointed me greatly about my doctor's visit is that the antibiotics he prescribed me are Erythromycin, and the info I read on it states that "it does appear in breastmilk and if it is necessary for your health, your doctor may tell you to stop breastfeeding while you are taking them." Aren't there any antibiotics that are safer for nursing babies??

So, if my infectious symptoms went away so quickly, does it seem safe to NOT take the antibiotics he gave me? If my symptoms never return, does it seem safe to at least wait until I see my OB/GYN on Monday, and ask his opinion first? I don't want to take something that could cause so much trouble if I don't need to.
    Most drug companies issue warnings about the use of their drugs while breastfeeding. This is more based on a fear of being sued that on real science or medicine. If your doctor prescribed the medication for you and knows that you are breastfeeding (which would make sense if he prescribed it for a breast infection!), than it is highly likely that your doctor believes it to be safe for you. You could give him a call if you like, just to be on the safe side. FYI, Erythromycin is listed on page 623 of The Breastfeeding Answer Book, 3rd revised edition, as a medication usually compatable with breastfeeding. There are no reported signs or symptoms in the infant and no effects on lactation listed.

HTH Tiana

Wow, thank you very much!

Is it also safe for me to eat LOTS of plain yogurt for the acidopholus (sp?) while taking an antibiotic (to prevent yeast)? I'd really rather not take capsules...

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    Wow, thank you very much!

Is it also safe for me to eat LOTS of plain yogurt for the acidopholus (sp?) while taking an antibiotic (to prevent yeast)? I'd really rather not take capsules...
    Yes, Sasha, lots of moms go the plain yogurt route to get the acidophilus they want!

And thanks to Tiana for jumping in on the thread! I was busy today with a IRL helping call and also last minute TG preparations.

Hope you keep feeling better!

Absolutely, a big thanks to both of you for all of your help.

But... Do you still think it's necessary to take the antibiotics if I don't show any signs of infection?

Of course, I can't tell you whether or not to take a certain medicine. I can give you the information (which you have from previous posts) and you can make that decision, or dialogue with your HCP. I can say that your symptoms do resemble those of a plugged duct and not mastitis, as per the above info.

HTH...

Absolutely! I wouldn't expect you to be a doctor or to be able out give out any medical advice. I should know better than to think you could offer personal opinions, either.

Thanks for all of your info and help. I believe it is just a clogged duct due to the very very mild symptoms.

You're welcome, Sasha. It's my pleasure to help you!