Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bleeding while pumping

Default Bleeding while pumping

I was sitting in my office at work pumping, just like I always do. When I looked down to see if there was much milk, the milk on the right side was red! (Well, pinkish, like tomato soup after it's been mixed with milk. Guess what we're not having for dinner.) I stopped pumping and pulled the horn off, and there are no obvious cuts or cracks on that side. There was a nice big clot in the top of the connector piece that was too solid to go down the tube (blech).

My question is, do I need to do anything? I'm not planning on feeding DS the bloody milk, it's only an ounce and we have tons in the freezer. (DS is 15.5 months.) It doesn't really hurt or anything. This never happened to me before in a year of pumping so if anyone has advice please share!!
    Karin
    mom to Miles (9/7/11)

Default Re: Bleeding while pumping

Nothing to worry about. What usually happens is that a very small blood vessel breaks inside the breast. These vessels are delicate and break painlessly, often in response to overenthusiastic pumping, and they also heal rapidly. By the next time you need to pump or nurse, the vessel will likely be fine.

If you want to use the milk, you can. Bloody milk is fine to drink, if a bit icky. If the ick factor bothers you, simply allow the bottle to sit in the fridge for a few hours. The blood will sink to the bottom of the bottle, and you will be able to pour off the clean stuff from the top.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you! That is very reassuring. It was quite surprisingly to look down and see all that red . . .
    Karin
    mom to Miles (9/7/11)

I know, right?!!! I remember looking down and thinking it looked like I'd filled the bottle with Pepto Bismal...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"