Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I have Low Supply??

Default Re: Do I have Low Supply??

She will go right to the breast, start sucking and after a short time just keeps pulling off, screaming crying and will look up at me. Then will go back to the breast and just keep doing that over and over again.
    I just went and picked up some of the new medela calma nipples that we'll try while I'm gone. Hopefully it works because when I'm home, I would so much rather nurse her than give bottles.

Update: When I'm home now she's fine going back to breast, however my supply hasn't seemed to increase. If anything, I feel that I may be producing less. I'm still pumping 2-3 times while at work about 10 min each session. Often times, I'm only pumping about 3oz and 4 at most during the day so I'm having a hard time keeping up with what she needs.
    If she sleeps through the night, which is rare - I can feed her, put her back to bed and pump canget about 3 oz.
    How can I increase my supply? Leaving her with 4oz. bottles just doesn't seem to be enough while I'm gone.

A couple of ideas to increase your supply:

- Pump more frequently. Can you leave 10 minutes earlier and pump when you get to work? Throw a pumping session in just before you leave, then nurse when you get home. Don't worry about not being "full up" for her -- your body will make milk "on demand". Breasts that are less full actually make milk faster when stimulated. Breasts that are more full send signals not to make so much milk in the future!

- Nurse more frequently when you're with your baby. Can you do some nursing sessions during the night? Baby can sleep-nurse while you sleep?

- Have a nursing vacation. Try a weekend when you just nurse, nurse, nurse! Spend the day in bed nursing as much and as often as baby will! Throw in a pumping session if baby is napping.

- Spend lots of time skin-to-skin: diaper-only baby on your bare chest. This stimulates the hormones that make milk.

- When pumping, try breast compressions: your hand in a c shape, compress the breast while pump is running, do this firmly but not to pain, careful not to disrupt nipple from flange. Hold compression for a few moments, then rotate hand to another position and compress again, holding. This is while pump is running.

- End pumping session with hand expression: Use your hand to squeeze milk into the flange of the pump, pump is not running. This mimics the action of the baby's mouth during nursing, thus extracting more milk.

- Do some "power pumping" at work, if you can. Pump for 10 minutes or so, work for 20 minutes, pump for 10 minutes, work 20 minutes, etc. Sometimes throwing in several pumping sessions in a row can mimic the natural "cluster feeding" that babies do, which stimulates milk production. You don't have to do this all day long, but maybe an hour or so, if you can.

- A regular pumping session might look like this: Double-electric pump until no more comes out, then 2 minutes more. Switch to single-sided pumping, using breast compressions while the pump is running; use two hands to massage all the areas of the breast while the pump is running. Do this on each side for a few minutes each. Double-pump one more time for a few minutes. Then hand-express the last little bits that you can before packing it all up. This could be about 20 minutes or so in total.

- More pumping/nursing sessions is better than fewer long sessions because that more closely resembles what most babies typically do. Several long sessions are also important to be sure the breast is "fully" drained.

Take care, drink to thirst, eat to hunger, sleep when you can -- this mom thing is HARD work and you're doing it!!