Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donating Milk?

Default Donating Milk?

I'm 2 months PP and am sucessfully nursing and giving 1 bottle per day. I will go back to work in 3 weeks and be away from DD2 10 hours a day. My question is should I start looking into donating my milk or wait until I see how much I can pump in a normal work day. I have over 400 ounces in the freezer from pumping before bed (when I give a bottle) and in the morning after she nurses. Thanks!
    Trying to keep up with a busy 3.5 year old Morgan Alexis born 11/5/09 at 6 lbs 5 oz and proud retired 1 year EP'er!

Nursing our new addition Jordan Catherine born 10/21/12 at 7 lbs 14 oz.

Total donated milk so far - 1,368 ounces!

Default Re: Donating Milk?

I would wait at this point before donating to better see what your needs are. Some women dont respond as well to the pump- i only could pump 2/3 of my daughter's daily volume when at work so we supplemented with donor milk on my work days but didnt need any supplement on my days off with her. Of course, if in doubt, you can contact a milk bank to discuss with them about the options- we have found them so supportive, even for moms who did not end up donating, and even to moms from out of state.

As a recipient of donor milk for my daughter, I really appreciate your desire to donate to other mamas. What a precious gift you are offering!

I agree that it's a good idea to wait until you know that you respond well to the pump while you're working before deciding to donate. Also, the milk banks I contacted were very strict about screening the people they got their donor milk from. I was turned down for drinking herbal tea (not medicinal herbal tea, just regular celestial seasonings type of stuff) and because I was on an herbal lactational supplement. So if you think you might want to donate, contact the nearest milk bank ahead of time and make sure you ask what their restrictions are so that you can comply with them while you're pumping.

Hi there! So great of you to consider becoming a milk donor. Like PPs said, you can wait for actual donation so that you know what your baby's needs will be, but you can start looking into milk donation now -- to find out if there's a milk bank in your city, and if not is there one in your region that can provide you with shipping materials, etc. You can check this website: https://www.hmbana.org/ Also, you can start the screening process. It often involves a written application, a phone interview, and lab work. It took me about 2 wks to get approved as a donor. Milk banks have a max age of milk they will accept depending on how it's stored. So for example, if your oldest milk is 2 months old, and the oldest milk your bank will accept is 4 months old, then getting yourself approved in the next 4-6 weeks, at the same time that you assess your baby's milk needs at your daycare, will allow you to donate later if you find you can't use all your milk before it expires.

Thanks ladies! I've found a facebook site for Virginia that would connect me with local women looking for donations. Does anyone have experiance with this and not going through a milk bank? It looks like the closest bank to me would be the next state over in NC.
    Trying to keep up with a busy 3.5 year old Morgan Alexis born 11/5/09 at 6 lbs 5 oz and proud retired 1 year EP'er!

If the site is Human Milk For Human Babies (HMFHM) then it's a well-known, respectable site. They are pretty much just a method to find donors/recipients and leave it to the individuals involved in each exchange to do whatever they feel is necessary as far as screening or whatever.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Just FYI, but many milk banks will arrange for shipping for milk donations. They pay for it and everything. So definitely ask whether they will do that.

Milk share does this too. What Paige Says. Just lets people who need milk and people who have milk hook up.

Way too lazy for formula

Back at work (3rd day) and am currently pumping 3x a day. 6:30 am after she nurses, 10:30 and 3:00. From those 3 sessions I'm getting about 20 ounces and she's only drinking about 10 ounces so far at daycare. My older daughter who I EP'd for topped out at around 16 ounces while at daycare (at 6 months). So right now it seems I've got enough. I think I'll try and donate some since the prospect of trying to rotate such a big freezer stash is not so appealing! The facebook site I found is HM4HB. Thanks for the advice everyone!

I donated some milk with Milkshare a while back. It was an easy process and the woman to whom I donated was very nice. I did not have enough for the milk bank minimum shipping requirements and did not have time to go through the whole process expecting to get denied anyway. I just met her in a public location near my house (Starbucks). Took her cooler back to my house and filled it up, and then I brought it back to her. I kept back about 6 or 7 bags, which I knew was enough for my DD.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.