Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeding on only one side??

Default Feeding on only one side??

Hello,
    I just signed up and have a lot of questions! I have a 10 day old infant. I breastfed my other two, but it has been a while... My infant was an excellent nurser straight from the start, and a good sleeper. But in the last week or so, he has become very lazy. He had a touch of jaundice, but his counts were going down. Yet the symptoms are lingering and getting worse. IE, he sleeps at the breat instead of eating after only a few minutes, his eyes are still yellow... He has now taken to just eating about 5 minutes form only one side, I have to work to get 10 out of him, sometimes 15. He pees and poops well, filling more than 6 diapers a day. But he shows no interest in eating when it is time.
    I fear I have screwed that up. I was going with a strickly on demand schedule (my first had jaundice and I forced her to eat every 2 hours, and it was way too stressful to force!). When we returned to the hospital for a checkup at 3 days, the nurse basically told me I would put my body into wean mode with that schedule and to wake him and feed him regardless. She also said that if he doesn't eat frequent enough my milk will get too much sodium in it (something I never heard before). Basically I felt strong armed into changing my plan, or else risking my childs life and well being.... It made me mad, but also scared me. Now I can't decide if I should wake him or let him decide when to eat, resulting in a little of both, lots of frustration and lots of spit up!!
    Now he is sleeping soundly in the day time and restlessly at night!!! Ugh! Before the checkup he was sleeping 6 hours soundly at night.....
    My questions are should I let him continue with the one sided nursing or will that mess with my supply? Also, can one safely feed on demand with a juandice baby? And how can I get him to sleep soundly at night, and less sound at day time???

Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Feeding on only one side??

Hi there...I'm so sorry your going through this. My little guy had the same issues...jaundiced enough to have a yellow tinge to his skin and eyes, but not enough to seek treatment. We were advised to wake him evry two hours, but that was also due to poor weight gain. How is your little ones weight gain? He should be approaching his birth weight, according to my ped. Now, I do know that the best way to get rid of the jaundice is to nurse as much as possible..that will reduce the bilirubin levels in his blood. The jaundice is most likely what is making him sleepy and uninterested in eating...that's what happened to my son.
    I hated waking him because it did cause him to be fussy and gassy, but we did it because the dr and LC said to. One side per nursing is perfectly fine. Some babies never take both sides per feeding. You just want to ensure he is draining the breast. It's really hard with a sleepy babe...believe me, I know.
    There are some tricks you can try to wake him up at the breast. Try nursing him wearing only his diaper. Lots of skin to skin contact not only helps your supply build, but being naked should keep him awake longer too.
    Try tickling his feet and gently blow on his forhead...those worked a little to wake Collin...you can also try compressing your breast to stimulate the flow and get him suckling again.
    I know it sucks to wake them...it goes against your instinct to never wake a sleeping baby..but we only had to do it ffor a couple of weeks and what a relief it was to let him set his schedule.
    As far as more sleep at night and less through the day, that will just have to wait till he's a few weeks older. Your main concern at 10 days pp is to build your supply by nursing as often as he wants, day and night. And getting rid of the jaundice, which may mean waking him every two hours to feed if he doesn't wake on his own.
    Also, I've never heard of the sodium in your milk thing, but then again I'm not a professional..lol. Congratulations on your little boy and good luck to you

Welcome Cassandra! I can't comment on the jaundice or weight gain issues, but I do want to let you know that some babies do feed on one side per feeding, my 8 month old included! He has always been a one-side-per-session feeder. This last weekend I was talking with an LLL Leader (see main LLL web site to find one) about this and she said that some babies are just like that, and that your breasts make more milk to compensate for it. Granted, you have to make sure to remember to alternate sides and try not to let it go too long between feedings per side, but it has all evened out for us!
    Mommy to William, 4/29/09, 7 lbs 13 oz, 21 inches.
    Mommy to Evan, 3/18/06. 7 lbs 3 oz, 21 1/4 inches.
    Nursed both boys to 14 months
    Birth Doula
    Wisconsin!

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply... my son had gained back 3 ozs at the 3 day checkup. He goes in Friday for his 2 week weigh in. I got antsy, so I laid him on our bathroom scale (not totally acurate, too many times of the kids jumping on it :P ) and he had surpassed birthwieght by that scale...
    It is just frustrating cuz now he wakes to eat between 2 to 3 hours, but eats only a few minutes... I liked the longer wait better! Although it is true that I want to get rid of the jaundice!!

Thanks again

My doc said the fastest way to clear up my DD's jaundice was to feed her. He basicaly said she needed to poop to get rid of the billirubin, so in order to do that she needed to eat a lot. So, yeah... feed as much as possible. Try blowing lightly on his face, cool cloth, tickling feet to keep him awake during feeding.

Also, if he eats a lot during the day he can go longer w/o eating at night.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

" your breasts make more milk to compensate for it. Granted, you have to make sure to remember to alternate sides and try not to let it go too long between feedings per side, but it has all evened out for us! [/QUOTE]

Ohh yippee (sarcasticly)!! With my other two I had a hyperactive production/ hyperactive letdown issue (a LC once told me I could feed an entire city block with how much I was making!!).... I was hoping to curb that this time!!! It is kinda hard to remember which side to start on, since he hasn't been draining them well, they are always hard as rocks!!!

Thanks though, your post was encouraging!!