Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: freezer stash gone and need to be away

Default freezer stash gone and need to be away

Merry Christmas!

I have been back at work for several months now, part time. I got what I needed for the first day in the days before I started back (when LO was 7 months) and then just pump for the next day. So, I never really have had a freezer stash (just what I pump on a Wednesday for Monday).

Anyway, LO is now 13 months old. I am off work for nearly 3 weeks for the holidays but I need to be away for most of one day (working hours--not the WHOLE day) and then will need to start back to work, as usual on the 7th of January. The problem? For various reasons, I only have about 150ml in the freezer. As of my last day before the holidays, LO takes anywhere from 250-300ml depending on what time I leave for work.

I hate pumping (don't we all?) and am not at all confident that I could make up the extra mls in the next few days anyway (before the one day I am away). I could probably pump to get what I need for my first day of work, if I did a little every day.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is this: would you recommend that I pump to get what LO will probably take for those days or do you think I could get away with giving him cow's milk on those two days? My DH has given him cow's milk before (why I don't really know) and LO took it just fine. It's possible, too, that he might take less anyway -- he still nurses a lot when he is home with me, but if he is with others or out (even with me), he doesn't usually ask to nurse/have milk.

Also, on this one day I need to be away, it might be hard to pump (it isn't for work and I am not sure the facilities will be very conducive to pumping). Do you think I could go from about 9:30am-4:00pm without pumping? The longest I've gone before is about 5 hours during a work day--it was fine and I wasn't uncomfortable.

Thanks!

Default Re: freezer stash gone and need to be away

He should be fine without cow's milk for your day away, but also fine if you/DH want to give it. Definitely see no need to pump in advance for that day. Or on that day. If you get uncomfortable you can hand express, or perhaps bring a manual pump or even your regular pump for a quick session if needed. But sounds like it won't be needed. Are you planning to pump when you go back to work? Because there isn't really a need for it at this point. As long as your LO is nursing 3-5 times/day you don't need to offer cow's milk (but again, fine if you do, at this point). Most mamas pump wean at a year anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    Are you planning to pump when you go back to work? Because there isn't really a need for it at this point. As long as your LO is nursing 3-5 times/day you don't need to offer cow's milk (but again, fine if you do, at this point). Most mamas pump wean at a year anyway.
    Yea, I have a lot of mixed thoughts about this. On the one hand, I would LOVE to pump wean because, as I said, I hate pumping. But, the idea of dropping those milk feeds when I know he would be nursing if I was home makes me kind of anxious--both in terms of supply and the "is he getting enough" question. I know, I've been told several times on the forums, that neither is a concern as he is easily nursing 3-5 times outwith my working day, but still, I am nervous. I have always had anxiety about him getting enough. Maybe I don't really get how pump weaning works for the baby. Plus, he nurses to sleep when I am home and DH finds it easier to put him down for naps when I am at work with a bottle of BM. So, I don't know what I'm going to do. I am planning to keep up my regular pump schedule for the first two weeks back in January because we are going on a holiday for 10 days and I don't want to change up anything with our nursing routines before then (so I can benefit from the ease of nursing on vacation and flights!). When we get back, I'm thinking of trying to drop down to 1 pump/day and see how we all get on with that for awhile. I definitely think 1 session is manageable for a little while longer.

Well, if it makes you less anxious to keep pumping, that seems like a fine reason to keep pumping! But your plan to drop down to 1 pump/day after your holiday seems perfectly reasonable.